Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need Suggestions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-suggestions-t142696.html)

n2stitches 08-04-2011 04:28 PM

Dear Fellow Fabriholics:

I came upstairs after my third attempt at trying to organize/sort my stash. I get so discouraged and give up!! How in the world am I going to get this stuff sorted? I am donating to several organizations. I know what I want to keep and what I want to get rid of. I notice many of you sort by color. I'm not sure I can do this. I really want to get this done so I can get back to what I love...making quilts. I need help and any suggestions are most welcomed. Many thanks. Sharon

amma 08-04-2011 04:31 PM

Maybe get all of the fabric (or a good portion of it anyway) out of your room that you are going to donate. The less full a room is or feels, the easier it may be to start organizing.

Then I will move more out if need be... a friend told me sometimes you just have to have a clean pallette to start with and for me, she was right :D:D:D

ManiacQuilter2 08-04-2011 04:43 PM

I agree with Amma. Remove the stuff you know that you are donating, then start to sort. I sort by style.... Florals by light & med and darks for watercolor quilts, tonals sorted by color, reproductions in another drawer and misc in the remaining drawer. It just depends on what fabric you love and are keeping. GOOD LUCK !!!

n2stitches 08-04-2011 05:21 PM

Thank you Ladies! I will keep at it and,eventually, I will get it done. It just seems so overwhelming. I am opening tote after tote. It's kinda like Christmas. So much I forgot I had. Others, I'm thinking "What was I thinking". I will survive!

pocoellie 08-04-2011 05:25 PM

I agree with the others, the fabric that you're donating, take it out of the room, then just sort and fold, maybe 20 minutes, then come back later on. I started with 1 drawer and couldn't believe how much difference it makes just ruler folding, before I knew it, I had that drawer done and started the next one, then before I knew it, I was done with ALL the drawers and believe me, I have plenty of drawers.

n2stitches 08-04-2011 05:32 PM

I wish all I had were drawers. I'm talking 60+ large totes. And that's just the beginning! Closets are full. Dressers are full. Ugggggg. I don't buy fabric anymore. God speaks, LESS IS MORE. Maybe I should sell some of it on this site???

fabric_fancy 08-04-2011 05:34 PM

i sort by theme or style and then by color.

so the reproductions get grouped together and arranged by color.

so on for batiks, floral, geometric, baby/child, etc.

amandasgramma 08-04-2011 05:59 PM

When you figure it out, please let me know!!!!

katyquilter 08-04-2011 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by n2stitches
I wish all I had were drawers. I'm talking 60+ large totes. And that's just the beginning! Closets are full. Dressers are full. Ugggggg. I don't buy fabric anymore. God speaks, LESS IS MORE. Maybe I should sell some of it on this site???

An I thought i had a lot of stash!!

whinnytoo 08-04-2011 06:02 PM

maybe post a few pics? I might be interested in some