Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   need suggestions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-suggestions-t160622.html)

misoop 10-15-2011 10:16 AM

I am making Dresden Plate blocks in scrappy brown and blues. I would like to to alternate these 15 inch blocks with some other block. Any suggestions? As always, thanks for your help.

QuiltnNan 10-15-2011 11:39 AM

i love dresdens, so i wouldn't put them with a different block. however, since the blocks are so large, i see why you want to do that. sorry, no suggestions

VaNella 10-15-2011 11:41 AM

Broken dishes in very faint neutrals?

DogHouseMom 10-15-2011 11:42 AM

how about a simple 9 patch with muted soft colors so they don't fight with the dresden.

or just use plain blocks then quilt the block with a wreath.

QuiltnNan 10-15-2011 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by VaNella
Broken dishes in very faint neutrals?

good one!!! :)

quiltingcandy 10-15-2011 12:41 PM

What about a plain fabric that is quilted using the Dresden plate design?

BKrenning 10-15-2011 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy

I would do a google image search for Dresden Plate quilt and see what others have done and then pick whichever I liked best. I've seen them alternated with a solid fabric which has a round swirly fan quilted in it most often, I believe. I've also seen many that have a Sunflower type design quilted in the plain block with crosshatching in the center and the petals mimic the Dresden Plate.

misoop 10-15-2011 03:53 PM

I would love to do this, but I'm not very good at straight ruler work on my longarm yet or the pretty swirly wreaths. So, I feel that I might mess it up, and I don't have time to practice, as this is going to be Christmas gift. So, I've got to get moving on it. I'm thinking maybe I might as well go ahead and make all the blocks with Dresden plates and do sashing witha 3 strip set with the cornerstone of each one being a little 9-patch. I did google as someone mentioned....seemed like most of them were ready-made bedspreads, etc. The handmade quilts I did see, didn't have any alternate blocks. I'm still open to suggestions, though. Thanks.

misoop 10-15-2011 03:53 PM

I would love to do this, but I'm not very good at straight ruler work on my longarm yet or the pretty swirly wreaths. So, I feel that I might mess it up, and I don't have time to practice, as this is going to be Christmas gift. So, I've got to get moving on it. I'm thinking maybe I might as well go ahead and make all the blocks with Dresden plates and do sashing witha 3 strip set with the cornerstone of each one being a little 9-patch. I did google as someone mentioned....seemed like most of them were ready-made bedspreads, etc. The handmade quilts I did see, didn't have any alternate blocks. I'm still open to suggestions, though. Thanks.

quilterella 10-16-2011 01:36 AM

Check out our Gallery of Quilts under the Pictures section. They have some amazing Dresden Plates and lots of inspiration.