Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need: Workhorse pin cushion (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-workhorse-pin-cushion-t210758.html)

mhollifiel 01-12-2013 05:03 AM

Need: Workhorse pin cushion

I have several pin cushions but I have (sigh) lost or misplaced my very most favorite which my grandson got for me from a scout fundraiser. It was a tuna can weighted somehow and painted black with a glued on cotton top filled with fiberfill. I have sized way down so I don't want to get paint, fiberfill, etc. to make a replacement. Has anyone bought a wonderful pin cushion that handles long quilting pins and is convenient to use. Flat bottom is a must as the "tomato" I've been using gets rolypoly after I use all the pins from one side. Suggestions???

Tashana 01-12-2013 05:11 AM

Go to Harbor Freight and for a few dollars you can buy a magneto bowl. I have two. Good things about it is that it has heavy rubberized bottom and holds many pins. I LOVE mine especially for pins.

117becca 01-12-2013 05:26 AM

Thanks Tashana for the tip to go to Harbor Freight for the magnet bow. i've been wanting one and hadn't gotten around to looking for one yet.

karenpatrick 01-12-2013 05:29 AM

Keep your magneto bowl away from your computerized machine. Magnets and pins can play havoc with the computers in your machine.

QuiltE 01-12-2013 05:38 AM

My pin cushion ... is not a pin cushion!

Just the lid from a tin box with a cow magnet in it. Magnet sticks to the tin tray. Pins to the magnet. The low edge allows for easy access for retrieving the pins and I somewhat aim the pins and the magnet grabs them! If I need to take it anywhere then the bottom of the tin box can easily be added for travel. And bonus, the edge keeps my stitch ripper from rolling away.

DebraK 01-12-2013 05:56 AM

I use the old rice bags I made for my son when he was trying to learn how to juggle. They're just little 4" squares bags filled with rice. They stay put nicely.

nvb50 01-12-2013 06:18 AM

I took an old mouse pad. Cut in to 4 equal squares. Put 2 together then held them together by making a pillow case for it. Made them as gifts and I don't have a picture.

vondae 01-12-2013 08:00 AM

I made the thread catcher bags with the pincushion that sits on the table. I love, love, love it. 2 helps in one. Easy to make. I will see if I can find the link for it. Found it: www.merrimentdesign.com/pincushion-thread-catcher.phb . Hope this works. BTW: when I make mine, instead of the hinges I used rice or beans (I live in a very dry climate) & instead of the clothesline I used the plastic strap that comes around packages. This is very easy to make & is very handy. I made 4 of these in one afternoon. I used 2 coordinating fabrics in mine. Very cute too. I even sold a couple. Fast & inexpensive. What more could you ask for. Hope this inspires someone to get creative. Please share with me if you do. I would love to see what others come up with.

vondae 01-12-2013 08:09 AM

For some reason this now just takes you to her page. On the right side of the page go "sewing projects" under the heading Project Types. Hope you can find it. It's well worth it.

vondae 01-12-2013 08:25 AM

When I click on the link in my other message it just took me to her site. SOOOOOO, just look on right side of her page under PROJECT TYPE. Then go down to sewing project. Click on that. On that page scroll down til' you find the pincushion thread catcher listing. I think it's the 6th one down. Hope you can find it because it's well worth the little effort. It's a great pattern. Good Luck & happy stitching.