Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need your advice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-your-advice-t120625.html)

EasyPeezy 05-03-2011 05:21 PM

I finished quilting (SID) a quilt except the border which is solid white.
What was I thinking? Anyway, now what to do? I'm thinking a simple
applique with vines and a few yoyo's. I don't have any fabric left so I will
have to order a charm pack for the yoyo's. Do you think I can put the
binding now and add the applique later or will this distort the quilt? I am
not planning to quilt heavily since I don't FMQ. Minimum quilting of some
kind. LOL

happyscrappy 05-03-2011 05:45 PM

if you are only going to applique, even with a machine, you many certainly quilt it first. i actually find it is easier to quilt before applique. there will be no distortion. you may also bind it too.

jillnjo 05-03-2011 05:57 PM

This is an interesting topic to me.I made a quilt with an appliqued border.I am sure it layed flat and was square before starting the applique.After applique was finished, it had a couple wavy borders.An experienced shop owner told me you must applique on borders Before you add them to the center,or the process of appliqueing will make the border length change.I never run across this idea,is it true?I havn't tried another time.

TonnieLoree 05-03-2011 06:03 PM

How wide will the borders be? Could you get by with no quilting on them?

fabric_fancy 05-03-2011 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by happyscrappy
if you are only going to applique, even with a machine, you many certainly quilt it first. i actually find it is easier to quilt before applique. there will be no distortion. you may also bind it too.

ditto

yellowsnow55 05-03-2011 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by jillnjo
This is an interesting topic to me.I made a quilt with an appliqued border.I am sure it layed flat and was square before starting the applique.After applique was finished, it had a couple wavy borders.An experienced shop owner told me you must applique on borders Before you add them to the center,or the process of appliqueing will make the border length change.I never run across this idea,is it true?I havn't tried another time.

I've always appliqued the borders before adding to the centre. I don't know if it's the "correct" way, but it has always worked well for me. :thumbup:

MZStitch 05-04-2011 03:28 AM

Yes it is true if you hand applique a quilt will become distorted, but if you machine applique it shouldn't be a problem. When hand appliqueing sometimes extra material is sewn under an applique just because you don't have your fabric flat at all times.

My suggestion is finding a machine applique, and yes, do it after you bind if you like.
Even though you are not free motion quilting the quilt you still can add excitement by just machine quilting a grid pattern, or straight lines, you could even do this with a colored thread and it would be quicker than applique if you are anxious to get the quilt done.

justlooking 05-04-2011 04:21 AM

A lot of good information! Thank you all.

debcavan 05-04-2011 04:26 AM

A small amount of stitching on a quilt after it is bound isn't bad. By having it already quilted, the quilt will act as a stabalizer for your applique.

jillnjo 05-04-2011 06:55 AM

Thanks very much for the info about border appliqueing.The quilt instructions said to applique the borders after sewing to the center and the pattern is from a well known designer and teacher. The lady who told me not to do it that way said she was aware of that particular designer's instructions,so I am glad to be better informed-thanks a lot.