Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need Your Help in Basics of Quiltmaking (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-your-help-basics-quiltmaking-t180602.html)

zennia 02-29-2012 08:16 AM

Another good thing to teach is no matter how much we quilt it is always good to read and educate ourselves. I had a question at our group and three different people gave me three different answers. Not sure which was right I got out some books andstarted reading. Found a lot of interesting information that I will use from now on. And none of them were right. By reading I now have the correct way of doing it.

TanyaL 02-29-2012 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by zennia (Post 5018670)
Another good thing to teach is no matter how much we quilt it is always good to read and educate ourselves. I had a question at our group and three different people gave me three different answers. Not sure which was right I got out some books andstarted reading. Found a lot of interesting information that I will use from now on. And none of them were right. By reading I now have the correct way of doing it.

Would you share what was your question?

oldbalt99 02-29-2012 09:49 PM

See if you find the history of the one quarter seam allowance. Who started it, when it began, and why?

Kenfaw 04-23-2012 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by regina1062 (Post 5012462)
As a beginner and with the type of person I am I want to know it all. I dont understand somethings and really want to.I'm like a kid and have to know all the "whys" lol. Why do you cut this way and not that or why do you have to put a binding on something? How do you know which is right? How do you pick fabric? I can go on forever but like I said I need to know it all lol

I too am a beginner, thought i could learn from buying books and watching others and trail and error. Boy what errors. Finally one of the books spoke about grain and weft and selvedge. Who knew? Now am on the right track but my cutting is wonky. bought a rotary cutter because you could see each cut with my scissors. thought since i bought a sewing machine to save money on having to send out my needlepoints to be completed by someone else i might as well learn to quilt. I don't even know enough to ask what i need to know. This thread has explained more than the 5 books, pretty tho they be. And informative.

bearisgray 04-23-2012 03:28 PM

Discuss the wash the fabrics before cutting or not to wash them issue - perhaps show some washed and unwashed - discuss the why or why not to wash- - -

Discuss fabric - how it's made - terminology - selvages, grains, bias, - show/compare different types/kinds of fabrics - we are exposed to many types of fabric, but few of us know what the various types are - knits (which can vary from zero stretch to lots of stretch) - different types of weaves - denim/twill weave vs. a "regular" weave, etc.

It's a bit difficult to condense years of knowledge and learning into a few hours.

Maybe a list of books that are especially helpful - Quilts! Quilts! Quilts! is on my list - that one can refer to

A few good tools are better than a bunch of junky ones. Perhaps a reminder that "in olden times" people made lovely quilts by hand with very few of the tools/toys that we have now.

I grew up in an era where home ec was still taught in school - and the women all sewed -

Now it seems that for some people the whole thing is completely "new" - and it is necessary to learn "from the very beginning" - think of it the same way little kids learn arithmetic.

By the way, my grandkids made paper quilt "blocks" when they were in second grade. The kids did a good job.

barny 04-23-2012 03:39 PM

Color is really important. I learned on my second quilt. I picked colors that went together real good, BUT, they were so bland I really don't like the quilt. I learned CONTRAST is very important too.

kayluvs2quilt 04-23-2012 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by mom2boyz (Post 5008971)
I think it is important to point out and then emphasize that all rulers and cutting mats are not created equal. That was a real eye opener for me. The variation in my personal mat and ruler is a lot. Without this knowledge, all the care in measuring and cutting is for naught.

I absolutely agree with this little bit of information is ESSENTIAL. When I first started quilting I was using the lines on the cutting mat for measurements - what a mess!!