Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need your help-binding widths = finished sizes? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-your-help-binding-widths-%3D-finished-sizes-t43981.html)

amazon 04-26-2010 10:23 AM

(2 times the finished binding width + Seam allowance) X 2 this is what I found on about.com. Is this the formula that you use for double fold binding.The question came about because I decided that my flip flop quilt for the school need a wider binding, I usually do 1/4 binding. My searches on here came up empty and online it came up book binding or snowboard binding or a calculator to figure how much , but not starting width=finished binding size. I fiqure someone on here knows the answer :-D Thanks Daphne

Pam 04-26-2010 10:25 AM

I always cut my binding at 2 1/8". I sew it on 1/4' from the edge, turn and hand sew on back. It is usually a little larger on the back, but always looks nice.

sewcrafty 04-26-2010 10:32 AM

I usually cut my strips 2 1/2" and then fold in half and iron. Then sew the cut end on the front approx. 1/4" or so from edge of quilt. This depends on the thickness of your batting. Sew down, turn over and hand sew down.

I hope this answers your question? :D :D

amma 04-26-2010 10:49 AM

I started out cutting my bindings at 2 1/4" but lately I like the looks of it better at 2-2 1/8"

amazon 04-26-2010 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by amazon
(2 times the finished binding width + Seam allowance) X 2 this is what I found on about.com. Is this the formula that you use for double fold binding.The question came about because I decided that my flip flop quilt for the school need a wider binding, I usually do 1/4 binding. My searches on here came up empty and online it came up book binding or snowboard binding or a calculator to figure how much , but not starting width=finished binding size. I fiqure someone on here knows the answer :-D Thanks Daphne

Sorry I was so overwelmed by the formula, I quess what I'm asking is this. If my starting size is say, 3" then it would finish at 1/2 inch , right? Is there a web site that has this conversion chart?

amazon 04-26-2010 05:52 PM

Let me try again, if you want binding larger than standard size of 21/4 or 21/2 which ends up being 1/4 or 3/8 is there a conversion chart for this?

Barb_MO 04-26-2010 06:10 PM

Whatever seam width you are going to sew the binding on with X 6 would give the size of binding to cut.
I think you would only want to use say 1/2 binding if you have a wider border. You need to stay 1/4 if you don't have a border and you have any point on the outside of your quilt. Could do the 3/8 without a border only if no point in on the sides.

amazon 04-26-2010 06:39 PM

thank you sew much Barb_MO. I will keep this in mind, I have a five inch border, so I think I will try a 1/2 inch binding. :-D :-D :-D

Jingle 04-26-2010 07:12 PM

I cut my bindings 2-3/4" sew seam 3/8" and I always have borders, don't have any points to worry about. Works for me.

ghostrider 04-26-2010 07:30 PM

If you cut 3", your binding will be 5/8". Formula would be cut width minus a half inch divided by 4 equals the binding width (a bit less if your batting is thick).