Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need your input (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-your-input-t219833.html)

Geri B 04-25-2013 04:27 AM

[QUOTE=Daffy Daphne;6023092]

Originally Posted by BDawn (Post 6021967)
Yes, she does make it look easy and I thought it was. I will starch twice once on back then front, sew. Here is a picture of the sample then a picture of the material I am using I will not be using any of the sample pattern ( it was just a practice piece) Thank you all I am just so happy to be able to get such great knowledge and willingness to help.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]409755[/ATTACH]

I too love the fabrics you've chosen, and your practice block looks great (especially the 8 points coming together in the center!), except I don't see enough seam allowance at all the outer edges to keep the star points from being cut off when you combine the blocks. I would want to find a solution for that before proceeding.

Good point about that outer edge "scant" 1/4" seam allowance......hope it is not like periwinkle. I have not made HST the way Jennie does, don't like fussing w/bias if I don't have to....but we each find our own path....

BellaBoo 04-25-2013 04:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If bias is a problem and it usually will be on a few no matter how much you starch, just cut strips of lightweight fusible interfacing and fuse an X through the block where you will be cutting. Cut as usual and no stretching at all. I buy the this and use it all the time for bias edges. Not one worry about stretching. [ATTACH=CONFIG]409946[/ATTACH]

kydeb 04-25-2013 04:50 AM

I've made pinwheels using the Missouri method and had no problems with it!! I didn't use starch. Maybe I was just lucky but I thought it was very easy!

tessagin 04-25-2013 04:57 AM

I found out everyone does it their way. Whichever is best for you is the way to go. I met 3 ladies from the same guild and asked them all different ways to cut a same block. They all said the way they did it was best. One paper pieces everything and gets her best look. So I would say whatever method works for you. BTW love your material color choice.:)

carolynjo 04-25-2013 04:59 AM

I'd say you did just FINE! Take the ruler back if you want to.

Grandma Nancy 04-25-2013 05:59 AM

I used this method for making hst's - http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...s-t141047.html

I wasn't making this particular quilt, but still an hst.

quilterpurpledog 04-25-2013 07:08 AM

BDawn, I just had to smile at the background for showing your fabric. My mother made so many pineapple doilies in years long past. I still have many of them stored in a cedar chest. As for your HST, choose your method and handle carefully. I am always amazed at the comments about starching because it is so easy to distort the fabric with starch because you iron the fabric rather than press it. A bias seam is more stable if it is made a little large and then square it up. If you try to force it into position you lose and it wins.

PaperPrincess 04-25-2013 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie (Post 6023295)
LOL, if you cut a triangle you will have at least one edge not on the straight grain. Whether it's scary or not is a personal choice.

If you cut a square, then sew on each side of a drawn diagonal line, it stablizes the bias before you cut, the resultant HST has straight grain on all 4 sides.

MyMoose2 04-25-2013 07:55 AM

I love your fabric selections!

Originally Posted by BDawn (Post 6021967)
Yes, she does make it look easy and I thought it was. I will starch twice once on back then front, sew. Here is a picture of the sample then a picture of the material I am using I will not be using any of the sample pattern ( it was just a practice piece) Thank you all I am just so happy to be able to get such great knowledge and willingness to help.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]409755[/ATTACH]
Fabric I am using
[ATTACH=CONFIG]409756[/ATTACH]

Each of us has a favorite way of piecing and "Knows" ours is the only correct way to do things. Just make a sample from scrap fabric using the way that you are most comfortable and confident and go for it! No one will know but you. We will all faithfully swear not to leak your methods to the Quilt Police.

cctx. 04-25-2013 09:59 AM

I tried the MQcompany method and it worked for me. I've made 6 blocks so far but my squares/fabric were cut at 9.5 inches instead of the layer cake method she suggests. Then I trimmed the finished HSTs to 6 inches even because that's how I wanted the size to be.
I'm not sure why your local quilt shop would side track you, instead of encourage your decision.