Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need your opinion: buying used embroidery machine Brother 180PED (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-your-opinion-buying-used-embroidery-machine-brother-180ped-t190465.html)

CanadianGirl 05-31-2012 10:18 AM

Need your opinion: buying used embroidery machine Brother 180PED

I know a lot of members are from the United States, so please note that sewing machines, even used, cost more in Canada (where I am...)
I want to buy a personal embroidery machine (don't need heavy duty, it's only for "me").So, I've been looking around and read good reviews on the Brother 180 PED. It has the some Disney designs built in, which I like. I found it (used) at a Canadian sewing centre about 200 miles away from where I live...n.p. I have a friend who travels to that area to sell fabric, she can pick it up....
I called them to check on history of the machine, what accessories came with it and was told the price was $399.00 We pay a lot of tax in Canada (13%) so I asked if I paid cash, could it be taxes included. The girl told me the owner would have to get back to me....
The owner called today and very politely said I was quoted the wrong price...it was $499.00 Would I consider splitting the difference and pay $450? I asked for some time to think about it...can someone give me some feed back? I didn't ask whether $450 included taxes...

rusty quilter 05-31-2012 11:07 AM

I am thinking I would ask the owner to honor what her/his worker quoted....unless you can't get it someplace else.

CanadianGirl 05-31-2012 11:34 AM

This is a model they stopped making two years ago...so, it is unlikely I will come across it again. Mind you, I was asking for the tax to be included and $400 + tax is $452. So, if $450 includes tax, I am getting it for $400 + tax essentially. I'm going to call back and check whether $450 includes tax.

Nanamoms 05-31-2012 11:49 AM

What accessories come with the 180? It if it like my SE270D (Disney), you will soon tire of the limitations of the designs included. Does it use a PES Memory Card (probably) and is one included? If so, you will need a reader/write box to transfer designs. What hoops are included? Does the 180 use a USB cord to connect to a computer so you can download designs from the Internet? Or does it use a Flash Drive?

Although prices are higher in Canada, these are the basic questions you should ask. Also, since you asked if taxes were included in the $399 price, the owner has an out if you ask her to honor the clerk's quote. I would make sure what accessories/etc are included, then price shop (in Canada) or in US (with shipping to Canada). There will be other costs associated with embroidery....stabilizer (different kinds), thread, etc.

You might search Allbrands.com for prices. They are a great US source. My dealer is great and has an eBay site but doesn't ship to Canada.

Hope this helps and doesn't confuse you!

marybrace 05-31-2012 11:56 AM

Ask about stitch count, if all hoops are there and in good condition. Where will you get it serviced? The manual should have a check list of all accessories. Does your friend sew? ask her to try it or have the dealer try it in her presence. Was it a trade-in? Has it been professionally cleaned? Get all the services you can. I don;t have this model but bought a trade-in model and the dealer gave it a through "going over"

PaperPrincess 05-31-2012 01:30 PM

You can download the manual from the Brother site.
http://www.brother-usa.com/manuals/d...0D&ModelID=588
There are 2 considerations I would have. 1) This machine takes a memory card, not a usb device. Don't know if it's a proprietary Brother card and format. If it is, you would need to get a read/write box and an appropriately formatted card. Y)u need to find out about this before you purchse. 2) this is basically a 4"X4" machine. It comes with a larger hoop, but it's a 3 position version. This means that you put the hoop on the machine, embroider a bit, move the hoop up, embroider some more, then move the hoop for the last time to finish the design. This can be annoying especially if your design has multiple colors because you wind up loading the colors 3 separate times.

They are going for <$200 US on ebay.

rjwilder 06-01-2012 05:52 AM

The 180D uses memory cards, if you want to download designs from the internet you will need an Amazing Box in order to write the designs to blank cards and put them into the machine. The cards are not cheap and neither are the Amazing Boxes. I sold my old 180D for $150.00, it was too limited in it's capabilities for me.

justflyingin 06-01-2012 09:50 AM

I just bought a Janome 350E, used and I love it. I think I paid about $600 in Poland. I have the possibilities of up to 5x7 and I am so happy that I can do that. I think that you will soon tire of only 4x4 since so many of the really neat designs are bigger than that. I'd probably steer clear of such a small one--keeping your eyes open for another used one but one that will a bigger picture without having to move all the hoop.