Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Needing pattern ideas (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/needing-pattern-ideas-t275557.html)

phranny 02-08-2016 07:02 PM

Needing pattern ideas

1 Attachment(s)
A friend's husband passed away and I asked her for some shirts to make a memory quilt. This is what she gave me, and they are all very neutral. Does anyone have an idea what kind of pattern I could use these with? There are 10 shirts in all. I do have a couple of denim shirts from my own closet that I could add to it for more contrast, but otherwise, this is what I have to work with. Any suggestions would be appreciated![ATTACH=CONFIG]542286[/ATTACH]

Tiggersmom 02-08-2016 08:25 PM

How big are you planning to make it?
How much yardage is in all those shirts?

Jan in VA 02-08-2016 09:05 PM

The quilt in your avatar would be perfect with these shirts in the neutral positions. The add the stars in colors that remind you of him or think she likes. To be a memory quilt the whole quilt does not have to be made of just the shirts; he was likely more than the clothing he wore. And with their fabrics worked in among other fabrics, she will spend time looking for the ones she recognizes, making her memories linger as she 'discovers' them. How kind of her to do this for her. :)

Jan in VA

quiltingshorttimer 02-08-2016 10:29 PM

one way to consider it is that he certainly wore dark colored pants with those shirts, so add in some darks and go for a pattern like your avatar.

toverly 02-09-2016 03:46 AM

Love the idea of using pants for the other fabrics or at least pants colors. It looks like blue would work from the photo. I once made a necktie quilt and used a light blue like blue oxford cloth with the ties, it's one of my favorite quilts.

phranny 02-09-2016 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Tiggersmom (Post 7460397)
How big are you planning to make it?
How much yardage is in all those shirts?

The size is left up to me. 10 shirts would probably produce 10 - 15 yards?

phranny 02-09-2016 08:01 AM

Jan and quiltingshortimer, My avatar quilt is an option as well - I suspect I will have to add a constant, just needed "permission" I guess. :o

phranny 02-09-2016 08:03 AM

toverly - that would have been a lovely quilt of neckties! Those fabrics are so rich looking.

heronlady 02-09-2016 10:33 AM

Try this website: thethriftyquilter.blogspot.com/2009/06/seven-shirts-seven-steps-one-thrifty.html. She gives advice on deconstructing a shirt for the pattern she used but the process would work on many other scrappy patterns. Somehow my post ended up on the original thread. Also, you can do a search here on Quilting Board "men's shirt quilts" and many posts come up. Hugs to both of you.

phranny 02-09-2016 10:45 AM

heronlady - I love that quilt but I just can't see it done with the shirts I have here. I had hoped for more variety, but will have to work with what I have. Thanks!