Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Needing some help from experienced quilters! :) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/needing-some-help-experienced-quilters-t252248.html)

mimmy96 08-21-2014 10:25 AM

Needing some help from experienced quilters! :)

5 Attachment(s)
About a year ago I inherited a whole room of quilting items. I am just not going through alot of it and selling some others. I have a BUNCH of quilt tops that were all done by hand and beautiful work, I am keep most of them but thinking about selling 4 of them. but I do not want to sale myself short, the only reason I am selling them is because I could use the money right now for something else. So please help me out. I am going to try to upload pictures of them and please tell me what you think I could get out of them! I would like to sell them all together, maybe? Any help would be greatly appreciated!! They are all just quilt tops, all of them are done completely by hand and BEAUTIFUL work!

Doggramma 08-21-2014 11:24 AM

Unfortunately in my auction and estate sale experiences, unfinished quilt tops don't fetch much $$. I recently saw a beautifully done Sunbonnet Sue quilt top sell for just $45 at an auction. Honestly, it looked like someone had made it as an heirloom quilt. Your tops are rather plain and I would be surprised if you would get $25 each. That's just my opinion. Sorry.

azwendyg 08-21-2014 12:51 PM

I'm afraid Lori is probably right. I've seen tops (without quilting) sell for as little as $5 apiece at yard sales, on craigslist, etc. Who knows though, you might find the right buyer and be able to do better.

Jeanne S 08-21-2014 01:05 PM

Unfortunately I have to agree with the previous responses. They are pretty, but not unique, and unfinished tops around here mostly sell for the fabric--$5 to $15 unless they are something REALLY special. Sad.

ManiacQuilter2 08-21-2014 02:38 PM

Yes, I have to agree with the responses. You could try selling them on eBay. Even when you become a Senior member, you could only sell them here for "unfinished tops and similar items: price cannot exceed 1/2 cent per square inch of surface".

ragamuffin 08-21-2014 07:19 PM

Along arm person just starting to long arm quilt should be interested in them. Some Amish would buy them too because they were too busy all summer with the gardens and need items to quilt. I personally would keep the red and white one and the purple and white one. They would be lovely quilted up. Think how much time it took to make them.

cwcquilters 08-23-2014 07:11 AM

Here's another thought. Donating them to a guild or church group and deducting the value on your taxes.

nativetexan 08-23-2014 08:17 AM

Oh i love the star one best. yes, tops don't fetch much. but if you sell a few you can buy some more fabric!!

FroggyinTexas 08-23-2014 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S (Post 6854157)
Unfortunately I have to agree with the previous responses. They are pretty, but not unique, and unfinished tops around here mostly sell for the fabric--$5 to $15 unless they are something REALLY special. Sad.

$5 to $15 wouldn't begin to pay for the fabric in most quilts, so that would be a major loss! Everyone so far has written the truth. Even finished quilts don't sell for enough to pay for the fabric and the labor that goes into them. froggyintexas

RedGarnet222 08-23-2014 10:50 AM

Why not quilt them before you sell them? Or have them quilted if your budget allows. I agree that the tops go for far less than the fabric cost by itself. A shame but true. I am thinking a donation slip is worth more than selling them to a individual buyer.

Have you contacted any other relative to see if they are interested?