Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Needle question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/needle-question-t156202.html)

familyfun 09-27-2011 07:36 AM

I have not been quilting for very long and I just read a post on FMQ.. Great Info on there you guys are Awsome.. Anyway I have practived a little and get frustrated because I am really bad at it... (I need to fashion some kind of extension table for my machine..) I think that will really help.
Anyway. Back to my question.. They said use larger needle well I usually use a 80/12 for piecing.. It seems to work fine.
Now.. Is that a big or little needle ?? What size do you usually use for FMQ ?

cbridges22 09-27-2011 07:42 AM

I can't wait to see the answers you get.I am to afraid to try FMQ.

katier825 09-27-2011 08:06 AM

I usually use a 90/14 for most everything. Quilting needles when doing Quilting and Universal for piecing. 90/14 would be bigger than 80/12.

Peckish 09-27-2011 08:11 AM

I use a 16 or 18 for quilting. I have a midarm on a frame.

AnnieF 09-27-2011 08:24 AM

I usually use an 11 or 12 to piece but a 16 or 18 to machine quilt. I FMQ all of my quilts and I like to use decorative threads and you really need to think about using a larger needle when you have a 35 wt thread. Also, I was just at a quilt weekend and a question came up from someone about when to change the needle. One girl had gotten her new machine in early summer and had not changed the needle. She does a lot of piecing. We told her that the weird thumping noise was her sewing machine forcing a dull needle though multiple layers of fabric. She changed the needle, the thumping stopped and she said she thought the machine was going faster....why wouldn't it...it wasn't working as hard pushing the needle into the fabric. We agreed that 8 hours of quilting or piecing was enough wear and tear for one needle....throw it out, put in a new one and go on your way.

purplemem 09-27-2011 08:31 AM

I use the Universal Quilting needles for quilting and it has made a huge difference. I think this is a 90/14.

Maia B 09-27-2011 08:40 AM

It DEPENDS ON THE THREAD!!! Sorry to shout, but you might quilt with super fine silk and a 70 needle, or thick thread and a 100. The Superior Threads site has excellent, thorough info on this. Using a needle that's too small for your thread will cause shreds and breaks, too big and you are putting big holes in your fabric for no reason. It's like asking, "what size pants should I buy?". It's going to depend on what you are trying to squeeze in there :).

EasyPeezy 09-27-2011 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Maia B
It DEPENDS ON THE THREAD!!! Sorry to shout, but you might quilt with super fine silk and a 70 needle, or thick thread and a 100. The Superior Threads site has excellent, thorough info on this. Using a needle that's too small for your thread will cause shreds and breaks, too big and you are putting big holes in your fabric for no reason. It's like asking, "what size pants should I buy?". It's going to depend on what you are trying to squeeze in there :).

Well said. :thumbup: I use the thread from Connecting Threads and use Schmetz Quilting needle 90/14. Anything smaller would shred the thread.

JanetM 09-27-2011 09:35 AM

An 80/20 is a basic piecing needle. A Sulky expert I know says that you should use a 90/14 topstitch needle for FMQ.

It has a larger eye for the thread so it causes less friction on the thread, meaning fewer thread breaks.

JanetM 09-27-2011 09:35 AM

Oops, double post. :oops: