Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Needle-Sense (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/needle-sense-t225419.html)

Sunnye 07-09-2013 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by AudreyB (Post 6167238)
I use a pin cushion tomato. It has sections around it and I mark the needle size in the sections with a Sharpie. I keep my used-but-still-sharp needles in the proper section and can easily find the size I want.

I do this also but then I found that I forgot which one I put in the machine. So now I put a flower head pin in the section from which I removed the needle.

sweetpea 07-09-2013 04:02 AM

You can get the jewellers loupe at Harbor Fright. that "Knitette" talks about.

dd 07-09-2013 04:18 AM

I have a pretty little bowl that I found at Goodwill next to my machine. It holds a couple different things that I don't want running around. All my needle packs are in the silverware try that holds all the other stuff. I take the needle out of the machine put it in the pack thats in the bowl and return it to the silverware tray. Then choose my next victim, um needle. That pack then goes in the bowl. Whatever is in the bowl is what's in the machine. Been doing this for years. The only time it doesn't work is when I take the last needle out and throw away the pack. Oh well, I didn't want to use the needle again anyway.lol

eparys 07-09-2013 04:20 AM

I use a pin cushion tomato. It has sections around it and I mark the needle size in the sections with a Sharpie. I keep my used-but-still-sharp needles in the proper section and can easily find the size I want.

I do this as well - works for me.

Jingle 07-09-2013 05:06 AM

After using a needle for quilting, I use it for piecing until a problem with it comes up. Then I discard it. I have tons of these needles and will probably never use them up. I mostly use a size 14, so that is usually what needle size I have.

mighty 07-09-2013 06:03 AM

All such wondeful ideas!!!!

AliKat 07-09-2013 06:57 AM

Then I mark the section where the present needle belongs when finished, if still in good condition. A flower head pin works just fine for me.

klgls 07-09-2013 09:47 AM

Great ideas - thanks for sharing!

Quilty-Louise 07-09-2013 11:16 AM

Soon as I put a new/different size/style of needle in my machine I take
a piece of painters tape and write the following info on it.

Brand of needle
style of needle (large eye sharp, ball point, leather, etc)
size of needle
date needle put in machine

Then IF (when) I take that needle out I have the info and can
than use that piece of painters tape to "old" the needle on a
piece of paper or where ever I put "used needles".
After removing the needle I write the date it was removed and
TRY to list approx. how many projects I have sewn with it. If
more than 10 projects than that needle goes to my box of usable
needles except for sewing quilting items (for sewing items that might
have stiff peltex and such in it).

Of course this is what I found that works best for ME, everyone has
their own methods of keeping track of needles and such.

nanacc 07-09-2013 12:17 PM

I'm not as organized as some of you ladies. When I put a needle in a machine, I place the case it came from on the pad next to pin cushion-thread catcher by machine.