Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   needle sizes??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/needle-sizes-t178500.html)

denveremerson 02-07-2012 01:25 PM

needle sizes???

Am I the only person that cannot see the size on my machine needles? I just got new glasses (and I'm not exactly blind!) and even with a magnifying glass and an Ott light, I just can't seem to make out the needle size. Does anyone have a trick for this?

SoSewSue 02-07-2012 01:46 PM

I find it almost impossible to read the imprint on the needles - you need to hold the needle and the magnifying 'just so' in a strong light to 'just' make out what it says.

My trick - I have an old 'tomato' pincushion and on each segment of the tomato I wrote in permanent marker the sizes of the needles I use. When I take one needle out of the machine I put it into the pincushion in the appropriate segment; and I put a flowerhead pin as a place marker in the segment from which I took the needle that is currently in the machine. (Gosh i hope that makes sense). I needed a system since I switch needles at least once a day - I have made a commitment to practice my FMQ for at least 15 minutes every day - and I use a different needle for that than I do for piecing.

pinkberrykay 02-07-2012 01:54 PM

I learn something new everyday, I had no idea they were printed on the needle

ckcowl 02-07-2012 01:55 PM

it is best when you are getting a new needle out of the package write down the size/type (i use a piece of masking tape- and place it right on the side of my machine- so if i'm going to change needles for something- i know exactly what i have in- then if it has only been
little used
i put it back into it's correct package. the packages are generally well marked- i've never tried to see the size on a needle- but i have noticed that some are (color coded) so that is another way to identify your needle.

Bonnie22 02-07-2012 02:09 PM

hmmm, I just bought some today - green for quilting needles, but there's 2 different sizes in the package and way too small writing for me....I definitely need some kind of system too

Jan in VA 02-07-2012 02:22 PM

And the Schmetz needles packaging has changed. Remember when they had a little magnifying area just over the section of the needle where the size was written? Drives me crazy; put that one on my list "what annoys you most in quilting" list.

Jan in VA

gayle bong 02-07-2012 02:37 PM

Someone makes a gizmo that you attach to your machine where you can indicate the size needle you are using. Just remember to change it when you change needles.
I like the idea of marking the pincushion.

Scissor Queen 02-07-2012 03:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I hate tomato pincushions. Marking one didn't help any either. It might tell me what's in the pincushion but it won't tell me which needle is new or used or which one is in the machine. So I got a multi compartment craft box at JoAnn's that's just the right size to hold needle packages. If a needle is still in the package, it's new. If the needle is out of the package, it's used but still good. I put a big orange button in the compartment for the needle that's in the Janome and a burgundy button in the compartment for the needle that's in the Pfaff. If the burgundy button is in an empty compartment then I know the needle that's in the Pfaff came from the package that's in the little storage compartment with the feet.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]309761[/ATTACH]

BellaBoo 02-07-2012 03:36 PM

Too much hassle for me over needles. I buy needles in bulk so if I change a needle, I usually toss it because
1. I'll forget what it is.
2. I"ll forget what my system is and what needle is suppose to go where.
3. I'm not organized enough to care.

Dolphyngyrl 02-07-2012 04:35 PM

This is what I use and I just labeled the outside in large numbers the size and type of needle, way easier to use

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Singer-Mac...nizer/19398744