Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   needle turn vs. raw edge applique (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/needle-turn-vs-raw-edge-applique-t225364.html)

JanTx 07-07-2013 09:25 PM

needle turn vs. raw edge applique

1 Attachment(s)
I'm working on a pattern that called for needle turn applique. Since I've never done that, but I have done raw edge I did that instead. I had to adjust in places to make pieces meet neatly, but ... what else would determine whether these techniques are interchangeable? My pieces are large and not detailed. The only things I changed were the size of the circle in the middle and the purple/plum pieces needed to meet at the seam in the leaf so I trimmed those edges. I hope the blanket stitch I used really secures these pieces, but my hand sewing lacks a lot so figure it worked as well as that would have.

The background square is 12.5".

DOTTYMO 07-07-2013 09:49 PM

I am the exact opposite I prefer needle turn. Next year it may have changed. As you can guess I do both and of the 2 prefer needle turn as I can sit and sew any time.
I do love the block I can see no reason to think it is wrong it is beautiful.

kiffie2413 07-08-2013 12:14 AM

I think your block is lovely! Your stitches look amazingly uniform to me! I do both needle turn and raw edge applique. I was a hand quilter only until about 3 years ago.. I have done the technique where you sew like an interfacing to the applique piece, right sides together. Then u make a small clip in the interfacing part and turn the applique piece right side out. Presto...no raw edges, applique is ready to stitch. I also recently saw the technique where you use the interfacing, make sure it's fusible..putting the fusible side to the right side of the applique piece. Stitch around, clip curves if needed. Then make slit opening in fusible side and turn it right side out...the fusible will then have the sticky side out, ready to be fused to your block fabric then stitched. Lastly I have seen where people use used dryer sheets in place of the fusible..great idea for recycling! Again, love your block!
K

owlvamp 07-08-2013 01:21 AM

Beautiful block!

gsbuffalo 07-08-2013 02:11 AM

it is beautiful

QuiltnNan 07-08-2013 02:53 AM

i think the final look that you want to achieve would be the deciding factor for the method used. if you don't want the stitches to show, you have to do needleturn. to me, this is a more finished/formal look. raw edge is a more casual/primitive look. both are great methods.

Raggiemom 07-08-2013 03:55 AM

I think your block looks great.

franc36 07-08-2013 04:00 AM

I love your block. You did an awesome job with the appliqué. Your stitches look perfect!

Tracy Delegal 07-08-2013 04:05 AM

I also think it looks beautiful! Love the color and the shades of dimension it brings out.

judylg 07-08-2013 04:12 AM

Your stitches are even and look great. Nothing wrong with that, I wish I could do it so nicely. You did great!