Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Needles for Hand Quilters (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/needles-hand-quilters-t195604.html)

teddysmom 07-24-2012 09:55 AM

Needles for Hand Quilters

Keepsake Quilting has Roxanne #10 between needles and #10 sharp needles. Does anyone know the difference and has anyone used either of these needles?

QuiltMania 07-24-2012 10:16 AM

If I recall correctly, betweens are used for hand quilting and sharps are used for applique or regular sewing.

teddysmom 07-24-2012 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltMania (Post 5390693)
If I recall correctly, betweens are used for hand quilting and sharps are used for applique or regular sewing.

Do the #10 betweens make it easier to quilt since you're going through material and batting?

bearisgray 07-24-2012 10:37 AM

If you google "hand sewing needle types" - you will get lots of places to look

Betweens are shorter in length than sharps. Betweens have a round eye. I don't remember what shape the eye is in a sharp. I know that embroidery needles have elongated eyes.

A finer (thinner) needle is easier to push through the layers (as long as it doesn't bend).

The numbering system of hand needles: The larger the number, the thinner and smaller the needle.

teddysmom 07-24-2012 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 5390724)
If you google "hand sewing needle types" - you will get lots of places to look

Betweens are shorter in length than sharps. Betweens have a round eye. I don't remember what shape the eye is in a sharp. I know that embroidery needles have elongated eyes.

A finer (thinner) needle is easier to push through the layers (as long as it doesn't bend).

The numbering system of hand needles: The larger the number, the thinner and smaller the needle.

Which do you find works for me with the hand quilting?

feline fanatic 07-24-2012 11:16 AM

For hand quilting order the Roxanne between needles.

I use a size 11 but a 10 is fine, don't be shocked when you see how tiny they are!

gollytwo 07-24-2012 11:30 AM

Everyone else has answered your question
My piece to add is that I use both needles for everything - which ever one is handy

NJ Quilter 07-24-2012 11:37 AM

I use Roxanne's betweens for my handquilting. I use either #10 or #11 all the time - prefer the 11's but sometimes they get a little bendy. And yes, they are TINY! Check the prices at Colonial Needle as well. That's where I usually get mine. Great prices and service. Unless you're getting other stuff at Keepsake. Have had good service from them as well.

bearisgray 07-24-2012 11:48 AM

I can easily thread (usually) a #10 needle, #11 is still (usually) manageable.

Those #12 betweens go through most fabrics so easily - but I have a hard time threading them.

I also use either - sometimes it's which one I find first - other times, it's whichever one I can get threaded!

I'm not a 'real' handquilter - so don't take what I say overly seriously. When I took a class, the instructor recommended the #11 James betweens. They did work well.

teddysmom 07-24-2012 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic (Post 5390806)
For hand quilting order the Roxanne between needles.

I use a size 11 but a 10 is fine, don't be shocked when you see how tiny they are!

Is the Roxanne between needle #10 the same as any #10 needle?