Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Needs some ideas for a signature wedding quilt please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/needs-some-ideas-signature-wedding-quilt-please-t179866.html)

debbieoh 02-18-2012 02:53 PM

Needs some ideas for a signature wedding quilt please

1 Attachment(s)
My Nephew Ryan is home from his second tour in Iraq. He went on a cruise with his girlfriend and came home enaged !!!! Sept wedding is being planned.
I would love to some how make a quilt blocks or evcen a quilt top the guests can sign at the receptions. and Ideas would be greatly appreciated.
he's so special to us like a 3rd son and want to make him and Jennifer something special.

ncredbird 02-18-2012 03:05 PM

Well, a double wedding ring quilt and people signing the centers is what comes to my mind right off the bat. You might ask the future bride what colors she prefers or plans on using for decorating. I made the mistake of discussing plans for a quilt my son had always admired with the future bride and she refused to put it out for display because she disliked the color choices, which he had chosen. I never made it, but now that they are divorced I am working on it again. Ann in TN

Quilt Mom 02-18-2012 03:31 PM

I think your idea is a great one. We did something similar for my daughter's wedding last summer. She chose to use the wedding colors in the quilt. Together we made 9 patch-blocks. Those are set with plain blocks in pale version of the colors. On the plain blocks we have, since the wedding, appliqued photos from the wedding. Guests signed the white squares in the 9-patch blocks. The couple enjoy looking at the quilt and remembering the fun they had at the wedding and all who were there. (We chose a 9-patch because my daughter was also doing the sewing, and is not as experienced a quilter. It was a fun memory-building time.)

If you want to use a more complicated pattern, why not choose a signature block of some kind?

Do you have a chance to talk with the bride-to-be as to colors? If you are close, perhaps you could offer her the choice of patterns, as well.

They look like a very happy couple. Congratulations!

momto5 02-18-2012 04:24 PM

An 8-point star quilt would work, also...make the centers light, so you can read the signatures and go for it!

Kathy Osterby 02-18-2012 05:45 PM

How about a Friendship star with guests signing center plain block.

Tartan 02-18-2012 06:25 PM

One of my favourite patterns is from Bonnie Hunter's site. I think it's called Basketweave strips? If you go to her web site www.quiltville.com and look down the left hand side of the page, she has a list of her scrap quilts. The Basketweave is a simple strip block but when you put the blocks on point is looks great. I alternate scrap strips with light or white strips for the signatures.

lunagrandquilter 02-18-2012 06:36 PM

Our son is getting married in May, and future daughter-in-law asked for a quilt ( which I had already told her I was going to make for them) to be signed at the wedding. We discussed signing the front, or the back, and which way she would be happier with. She chose to have the signatures on the backing. We found a batik with dark and light blacks and grey, with room in lighter spaces for the signatures. We then shopped stash of batiks and she chose her colors and pattern. Of course I only showed her patterns I thought I was capable of making. I haven't tried set in seams. paper piecing a larger quilt, or using many many pieces like some of the gorgeous quilts many of you show on here.
She was happy and so was I. Nearly finished it, just working on some daisies we decided it needed appliqued as she loves them, and they will be her flowers.

Tartan 02-18-2012 06:54 PM

Sorry, correction: Basket Weave Strings is on the right side of the page on www.quiltville.com.

debbieoh 02-19-2012 03:02 PM

Thanks

so many great ideas THANKS so much now off to check all the blocks suggested

debbieoh 02-19-2012 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 4987374)
One of my favourite patterns is from Bonnie Hunter's site. I think it's called Basketweave strips? If you go to her web site www.quiltville.com and look down the left hand side of the page, she has a list of her scrap quilts. The Basketweave is a simple strip block but when you put the blocks on point is looks great. I alternate scrap strips with light or white strips for the signatures.

LOve the site never been there before THANKS SO MUCH