Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Neutral colors (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/neutral-colors-t295459.html)

judykay 03-13-2018 07:15 AM

Neutral colors

I want to make a quilt using neutrals and would like others opinions on what they consider a neutral besides the basic browns, beige's, blacks and greys. I would like to add color but am not sure what is considered neutral. I recently read a post about making wedding quilts in neutral colors as young brides often change their taste after a few years.

ILoveToQuilt 03-13-2018 07:17 AM

I consider dark navy as a neutral. Don't forget white, cream and ivory.

KalamaQuilts 03-13-2018 07:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
this is my idea of neutrals, you probably won't like it :)

Rhonda K 03-13-2018 07:41 AM

I would consider using any color and calling it the "neutral". It would simply be the unifying color in the quilt. Honestly, the traditional colors considered as neutrals aren't my favorites in the color world.

I've used yellow paint as a wall color and it worked as my neutral for the room decor.

Check the definition of neutral and apply the concept to your fabric colors. You can see how different ones can be justified. Others may disagree but it works for me. Go ahead and have fun with your quit design.

cashs_mom 03-13-2018 07:50 AM

I think lots of colors can be neutral depending on the intensity of the hue. Sage green can easily be neutral if it's grayed down. I think many other colors can, too.

MaryKatherine 03-13-2018 08:27 AM

Pick a multi fabric You consider neutral then use the colours in it. They can be sold or other multi s . Try and keep the palette to that original choice.

dunster 03-13-2018 08:31 AM

I have a friend who steadfastly claims that orange is a neutral, and uses it that way very successfully. It's all in your definition.

Boston1954 03-13-2018 08:43 AM

I saw a picture online and the sashing was a light peach. It was terrific!

KalamaQuilts 03-13-2018 08:50 AM

so to clarify, are you talking background or light neutrals?
I love grey as a background because it really seems to define the patchwork part.

feline fanatic 03-13-2018 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom (Post 8020956)
I think lots of colors can be neutral depending on the intensity of the hue. Sage green can easily be neutral if it's grayed down. I think many other colors can, too.

I agree with Cashs mom. Just about any color can be considered a neutral if it is muted down and not saturated. Think Japanese taupes. I consider them a very neutral palette but they contain many muted shades of color with occasional pops of a saturated neutral like rust, indigo blue or brown.

Google images of "Neutral color quilts" and you will be amazed. Now some of the images are not at all what I would consider neutral but others that I would have touches of turquoise, orange, peach, green and yellow in them. However the overwhelming majority are done in semi-monochromatic color schemes of beiges, browns, tans, creams, grays, soft golds and ivory.