Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New appliqué method? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-appliqu%E9-method-t211995.html)

cmierley 01-27-2013 04:22 AM

I'm working on a scenery quilt of Lake Superior. Directions state cut and paste designs. I have completed the design and glued it down. Now my edges are fraying. They state now to stitch all around the edges of each piece before I start quilting. That is making some pieces fray more. Help! Does anyone know how to stop this? Or what I can do?

kaelynangelfoot 01-27-2013 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by cmierley (Post 5816710)
I'm working on a scenery quilt of Lake Superior. Directions state cut and paste designs. I have completed the design and glued it down. Now my edges are fraying. They state now to stitch all around the edges of each piece before I start quilting. That is making some pieces fray more. Help! Does anyone know how to stop this? Or what I can do?

I use lightweight or featherweight fusible interfacing on the back of each piece that I applique, then use a quilting basting spray to hold it onto the background until I stitch around the edges. I haven't done much applique so I'm not sure it works all the time but I haven't had a problem with fraying yet.

meanmom 01-27-2013 06:00 AM

I have used that method some. It does work on small pieces but it also depends on the shape of the pieces. I just tried it on a bunch of circles but for the life of me I couldn't sew a nice circle. I tried several different methods. I ended up using heat proof template plastic and starch.

Steady Stiching 01-27-2013 06:16 AM

You can do this on smaller pieces (not too small) If you take a few more steps....carefully pink your edges after grading the seam. Also I have used this method using water soluble thread, after my piece is pressed (dry iron) I steam it....removing the thread...and the fusible material...leaving a nicely creased edge that is not heavy with fusbile stabilizer...lays much flatter....though be it a bit fussier.

Geri B 01-27-2013 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan (Post 5813838)
Yes, Eleanor Burns of Quilt In A Day does that a lot. I love doing Sun Bonnet Sues like that.

good to know....I have a kit of precut SBS and really did not want to hand app or machine app, but since you did with f/interfacing, I will try that....have used that method for circles and liked the results.....good, another ufo is on its way to being a quilt!!!!!!!

Jingle 01-27-2013 07:35 AM

I do needle turn and plan to do it on a dresdan plate quilt. Hopefully soon.

quiltmom04 01-27-2013 07:49 AM

I have tried this method, and I find that the edges of the fusible show enough to bother me and th fusible is not worth the trouble. I will sometimes back an appliqué piece with the same fabric as the front, and then use a small piece of fusible to keep it in place as I sew it. This makes rounded edges like circles easier, especially since if anything peeks out from the back, it's the same fabric, not interfacing.

mengler 01-27-2013 08:35 AM

Applique method

Originally Posted by quiltmom04 (Post 5817302)
I have tried this method, and I find that the edges of the fusible show enough to bother me and th fusible is not worth the trouble. I will sometimes back an appliqué piece with the same fabric as the front, and then use a small piece of fusible to keep it in place as I sew it. This makes rounded edges like circles easier, especially since if anything peeks out from the back, it's the same fabric, not interfacing.

I had the same problem. "Edges" drove me crazy. I solved this by trimming the fusible. After you cut a replica, trim the fusible about 1/16" then attach as discussed. When you turn it, the smaller back will force the fabric edge under. No more "edges". If that isn't enough trim a little more next time until you get the look you want.

GrannieLOU 01-27-2013 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by lynnie (Post 5813611)
So, you sew w wrong sides tog, cut a small hole turn right side out and iron down then stitch

I think you mean sew with Right Sides Together.

Pattycakes 01-27-2013 09:15 AM

Yes this method has been used by Eleanor Burns. I am an extreme fan of hers. This method works great with small pieces. To turn them she uses a straw and a ball point bodkin. I don't have a bodkin so I use a crochet hook. You put the straw into the piece that you are turning, *pull so the fabric is over the end of the straw and use the bodkin and push the fabric into the straw. Pull it out of the straw, turn the fabric and repeat from *. Or you can watch any of Eleanors tutorials on the flower appliques. She shows this technique as well as using fusable. Have fun!