Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New Back Up Sewing Machine! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-back-up-sewing-machine-t273737.html)

Jingle 12-28-2015 06:05 AM

I have 4 or 5 back ups. My Juki and Baby Lock Jane stand up to my constant use. I have thought about buying a cheaper machine just because.

rjwilder 12-28-2015 07:29 AM

I also have a Brother SQ 9000 series machine. I love it for classes and it's a great back up machine. We do a lot of RVing and it's my travel machine. I've never had a problem with it, it's probably one of my best purchases.

Debbie C 12-28-2015 08:13 AM

Out of curiosity to see the 9130, I went online to Walmart.com. It comes up with 0 results! I'm guessing this machine is not available for sale in the U.S.

margecam52 12-28-2015 09:10 AM

I have a little Brother SE270D (Disney) sewing/embroidery machine. I got it 10 years ago at Walmart. I love that little machine! It ony has a small embroidery area...but I use it mostly now for sewing (it is a backup for my two embroidery machines)...it has a self threading cartridge...and cuts the thread! I baste quilts onto my leaders for my longarm quilting frame...I hit the baste icon...and it's set & ready to go. Has all kinds of specialty stitch settings...blanket, satin, hems, etc. It's a great little machine. I have a 15 needle for embroidery & Singer Futura I use at home for small embroidery projects & for binding. Mostly though, for all sewing...I use that little Brother machine. I love my little machine. I keep an eye out on ebay..will replace with another when she finally gives up. Main thing is to keep them oiled and clean. I put a drop of oil in the bobbin area when I clean it....then wipe the excess with a soft cloth.

Originally Posted by MarionsQuilts (Post 7414180)
So I broke my beloved Husqvarna - Because I have three quilt tops ready to quilt!

I'm off for all of next week, the sewing machine repair store is closed until January, and there was no way I was going a week without sewing. I live for these two weeks to be able to do nothing but sew and have ZERO guilty feelings about how I should be outside enjoying the weather (mind you, for the first time in years, it is +8 in Ottawa LOL)

So I sent my dad to Walmart on Boxing Day (kind of like Black Friday for the Americans!) and he called me and read out all the types of sewing machines they had LOL I chose a Brother SQ9130 and I have to admit I am VERY pleased with how well it sews. I was certainly not expecting it to sew as nicely / quietly as it does for a machine that cost less than $300! (For those of you that have the embroidered sewing machine like I do, you know what I am talking about!)

It does NOT have automated everything like I am used to (cutting the thread, the presser foot doing down automatically, etc.) and it took me about 5 minutes (and yes, I finally read the manual) to figure out why I kept getting an error message and it wouldn't sew. Turns out you have to MANUALLY put the presser foot down! LMAO ...

It is also a quilting sewing machine, but I haven't got that far yet (although it did come with a walking foot!). If anyone is looking for a recommendation for a sewing machine, I would highly recommend this one. I know I've only been sewing on it for 2 hours, but seriously, it is a great little machine!

I actually find it easier to maintain a 1/4 inch seam with this machine than my Topaz! Who knows, maybe I'll just use this to sew my quilt tops together and then do the embroidery with my big one!

crafty pat 12-28-2015 10:08 AM

I have been using one of those for five years and I love it. I bought mine as a back up for my 401A and for more of the decorative stitches but I now use it for so much more. It is a great machine.

MargeD 12-28-2015 10:12 AM

Congratulations on a great bargain and sewing machine. I have a Brother sewing machine as a back up machine, which I got for free at the recycling center in our town. It sews great and even does better satin stitching than my New Home, (PS, don't tell anyone with a New Home, although I love my Janome 4000).

Ginger's Mom 12-28-2015 12:47 PM

Debbie,
The SQ9130 is for sale in Canada. I have the SQ9185 which is the exact same thing and it is for sale in the U.S. at Walmart.

MarionsQuilts 12-28-2015 05:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So I have done 4 quilts tops in the last week with my little machine, and it is an absolute trooper, and what a dream to sew on!

Seriously, I have been a husqvarna snob for far too long LOL (I was brainwashed hahahaha!)

I absolutely love sewing on this machine - my 1/4 inch seams are perfect!!!!

Not having an auto cutter is a bit of a pain, but I have adapted very quickly!!

And here's a pic to show you!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]538964[/ATTACH]

Karen Mc 12-28-2015 05:45 PM

Sorry your machine was not working, but glad you are happy with the new Brothers. Now you will have a back up in case you ever need one again!

Karen Mc 12-28-2015 05:46 PM

Beautiful quilt!