Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   new fabric pricing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-fabric-pricing-t266070.html)

bee3 06-06-2015 02:21 AM

new fabric pricing

I just noticed a new fabric pricing on a big online shop, they give you a price for 1 yard, say 9.95 per yard, and if you put in 1/2 yard of that fabric, instead of half that which would be 4.97, they are charging 7.95. Its on all of their fabrics. I hope this doesn't become a trend.

katier825 06-06-2015 03:22 AM

I hate that they are doing that. It's like getting a huge surcharge for buying a partial yard. I won't shop there. There are so many other places to shop that don't do that. Hopefully they will change their tune if they lose a lot of customers over that new policy.

#1 AAA quilter 06-06-2015 04:22 AM

This is the same way most places charge for fat quarters and other precuts, so it doesn't seem too far off to charge more for less than a yard.

Onebyone 06-06-2015 04:25 AM

I guess I don't shop at the store as I haven't seen those prices and I would not shop there. I don't need fabric that bad to put my money in someone's greedy pocket. What difference does it make if you cut one yard or 1/2 yard. It's one cut.

quilterpurpledog 06-06-2015 04:47 AM

I wonder how many customers they can afford to lose over such policies? Most of us are too savvy for that-aren't we?

joe'smom 06-06-2015 07:21 AM

I can't imagine any shop that really understands and respects quilters, our needs and our financial limitations, adopting this kind of policy.

Personally, I can't afford to buy a yard of every fabric I want to audition, and I haven't shopped there since the new policy was put in place. But I suppose there could be enough well-off quilters who don't mind having to buy a yard, that they won't feel the impact of those who choose to shop elsewhere. Time will tell, I suppose.

The other factor is that this is a really big store. They may have so many orders coming in that losing a few won't have much of an impact, unlike with a smaller on-line business.

lots2do 06-06-2015 07:28 AM

Hey, I saw that too! I'd say this is the equivalent of a big box store - not a bricks and mortar shop that has an online business. I was not pleased when I put a 1/2 yard in and saw that price increase. In fact, I 'downsized' my order and only got full yard cuts so I ended up spending less. On the other hand, they do have a generous shipping policy, in my mind so maybe the 1/2 cuts pay for the shipping costs?

tessagin 06-06-2015 07:31 AM

I always order atleast a 1 1/2 yds if I order at all online. I always buy atleast a yard at any big boxstore. I know places that a yard is on sale not half yard. So you might as well buy a yard. I don't know what store it is. Somewhere in the fine print it might say one yard minimum.

LyndaOH 06-06-2015 07:52 AM

I'd feel better if they'd just say "1 yard minimum". At least I'd know going in that it's not worth my while to shop there unless I'm buying a yard or more.

Pagzz 06-06-2015 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by LyndaOH (Post 7218538)
I'd feel better if they'd just say "1 yard minimum". At least I'd know going in that it's not worth my while to shop there unless I'm buying a yard or more.

I agree. I don't have a set rule on how much of a fabric I buy. It depends on how much I need for my project.