Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New Here With A Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-here-question-t253300.html)

ManiacQuilter2 09-09-2014 10:27 AM

I always held true to the saying that if you start a quilt on one DSM, you should continue to piece on ONLY that machine. Piecing a tumble block has to be so accurate, I wouldn't risk it especially with the bulk produced by a serger. I would just make sure that all my pieces were cut and ready to start piecing when you DSM comes home from being serviced. Welcome to the board.

IrishgalfromNJ 09-09-2014 11:36 AM

Welcome to the Quilting Board.

What an interesting question. Something I never would have thought of. If I didn't have a back up machine, I would be piecing by hand while I'm waiting on my machine to return.

citruscountyquilter 09-09-2014 12:27 PM

Welcome! You'll get a lot of good advice and information here. I have learned so much. Three weeks is a long time to have a machine in for repair. Anytime I've taken mine in it's been a matter of days not weeks. A friend took hers in for repair (timing was off) and they fixed it while she went to lunch because she had driven a long distance to get there. She had called ahead. If you really like this repair person then stick with them but I think that is a longer time than normal for a machine repair unless they are waiting on parts.

Lafpeaches 09-09-2014 12:37 PM

I've never waited more than 1 week usually less. The last time I was told 2 weeks but took only 1. The workroom at the dealer is usually packed with machines. I think there is 1 repairman and the owner. I saw a sales person working on a machine also. He's the best.

Sarabela 09-09-2014 01:09 PM

I didn't ask them if they had loaners. Last time i took it to them they told me 2 weeks and it was more like 4 weeks, but they did a great job and didn't overcharge me. There is no other place around other than independent people and i was burned by one of them before. This shop i took it to is a 45 minute drive away. The nearest fabric shop is 30 minutes away in the next state. I think it's safe to say that there aren't too many other people who sew around me. We did have a Jo-Ann's that was very close but it was only there for a couple of years. Not enough business.

Candace 09-09-2014 01:42 PM

Do a search on your local Craigs List to find a cheap, back up machine.

Silver Needle 09-09-2014 11:21 PM

I have a featherweight as a backup machine. It's lightweight to take to classes as well. I use "Little Foot" quarter inch for featherweights and checked to be sure it's quarter inch matched the quarter inch sewn by my Bernina 880. They matched! I was so relieved I didn't have to make any special adjustments to switch from one Machine to the other. Did the happy dance after I checked it out.

mic-pa 09-10-2014 02:36 AM

MY backup machine is invaluable. My main machine is in the shop at present and I use my backup not only at this time but it is light weight and I take it to my quilt group on a regular basis.

Sarabela 09-10-2014 12:14 PM

I would love a backup but I'm saving for a modern machine though so i may wait and just use my current 1996 Baby Lock as a back up once i can get a new machine. I've been eyeing the Crescendo but that is a couple of years away.

PenniF 09-10-2014 12:23 PM

To the repair shop -- BUT>>>>>>>
Hi...and welcome to the board.
You probably already know this, but i'm going to toss it out there anyway. My machine started to do exactly the same thing a few years ago - i took it to my local shop - and all that it needed was the lint cleaned out of the bobbin case. There was A LOT of lint. Dumb me - i was sewing faux suede at the time and just never thought of it. Just a thought.