Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New idea.To me anyway (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-idea-me-anyway-t178620.html)

Weenween 02-10-2012 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by nena (Post 4955416)
My sister loves scrappy quilts. She took scraps left over from all the quilts she has made and made a quilt just with those scraps.
I decided to save mine and make a 12in square out of the scraps in the same pattern as the quilt. Like I made a sail boat, rail fence etc. Just made an extra square with every quilt I make and then make a quilt out of all of them. Has anyone ever done this before?

I do it all the time no fabric wasted in this house,cost is so high these days of quilting and living.

june6995 02-10-2012 04:53 AM

I have been making scrappy quilts for quite a while. I make quilts for charities and some of the prettiest ones are made with scraps. They have an old fashioned charm about them. I save all my left-over fabrics, and put them in a box. I have friends who bring me scrap fabric from their sewing projects and I also get scraps from Freecycle, so I have scrap
quilts in progress almost all the time. Making 30 or more quilts a year can be expensive, but with the help of those who like to see things used, rather than tossed in the trash, I can make more quilts to keep people warm.
Scrap quilts take us "back" to a time when we had little and even scraps had value. Originally quilters did not have a lot of money to spend on supplies, thus the stories about them using newspapers inside their quilts, as well as people's clothing. I recall people using the phrase "waste not, want no!" more ofthen when I was a child, than they do now. We have had abundance for so long, but now people are beginning to return to their more frugal ways. Quilts do not need to cost large amounts of money.

June in Cincinnati

redmadder 02-10-2012 05:04 AM

I too make lots of scrap quilts. Always begging friends for their castoff fabric. We scrappers may be the new gurus of the quilt world if prices keep going up and relative income down.

Lavada 02-10-2012 05:28 AM

most of my quilts are scraps i hardly ever use just two or three fabris i liked the ones mom used to make oh i told my age 73 in two weeks

Pieces2 02-10-2012 05:51 AM

I think these are called sampler quilts, when every block in the quilt is different.

#1piecemaker 02-10-2012 05:56 AM

It would make a great sampler quilt too. Good idea. I have said I was going to do this. But, I am always so glad when I finish that last block that I don't want to make another one. LOL

lubberfarmgirl 02-10-2012 06:14 AM

I would love to see one of these quilts! Great idea!

hershery 02-10-2012 06:43 AM

I will have to try that.

DonnaC 02-10-2012 06:45 AM

I just love this idea!

annthreecats 02-10-2012 06:54 AM

I'm new to quilting and I collected a lot of fabric for my first quilt top. I ended up cutting 95% of that fabric into the 5" squares I wanted. I had enough fabric for two tops. I like your idea of making the blocks and adding to them each time you make a quilt.