Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New iron is needed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-iron-needed-t154031.html)

Hattie Shorts 09-18-2011 07:29 PM

my rowenta soleplate spent time on a plastic water bottle so now I need to buy a new iron...it's been several years since I shopped for a new one....what is a favorite out there in quilt land?

constantly55 09-18-2011 07:32 PM

I love my Rowenta, I got mine on clearance at Walmart of all places.

bjeriann 09-18-2011 07:37 PM

I love my dry iron that I got from Home Depot. It's a nice heavy iron.

DogHouseMom 09-18-2011 07:38 PM

Have never tried Rowenta. I recently purchased an Oliso - the kind with the feet that raise and lower. Not sure what model ... 1600 perhaps (the yellow one). I don't use water in mine, but word of caution - mine says NOT to use distilled water so if that is what you usually use, DON'T with an Oliso.

Things I like about it ...

Really long cord
Great glide on the sole plate
Long auto shut off time (30 min I *think*)
Raise/lower feet (can be turned off)
Good weight (meaning heavy but not too heavy)

I've had mine for less than a year, so I can't vouch for longevity *yet*.

Sue

auntpiggylpn 09-18-2011 08:07 PM

I just stuck my Rowenta to a plastic bag today. I scraped the soleplate on the edge of my ironing board (need new cover anyway!) and then after it cooled, the plastic came right off with a Mr. Clean magic eraser. My Rowenta is only a few months old and I am so thankful for the teflon coating!

Vanuatu Jill 09-18-2011 08:31 PM

I got my Rowenta Master at Costco-be careful, it seems that the ones make in China or someplace like that aren't as good-alot of board members reported leaking. The one I got at Costco is make in Germany, and so far, I love it-no leaking!

amandasgramma 09-18-2011 08:57 PM

I paid good money for a Rowenta --- it died in less than a year and took some fabric with it (burned up the fabric!)
Went to Walmart and bought a Rival --- lightweight, can be taken to class with ease, HOTTEST iron I've ever bought and does NOT turn off automatically ---- cost??? $9.99!! I just bought a second one in case this one dies. :)

trif 09-18-2011 10:10 PM

I'm in need of a new iron too,so I will be following this thread.

Amandasgramma has the right price range!

I have a small iron I love for small ironing but my large iron is in sad shape.

blondeslave 09-19-2011 01:09 AM

If anyone is interested in the Oliso irons with the feet that move up and down Christmas Tree Shops had the 800 for $24.95. I don't need a new iron but someone out there might.

ckcowl 09-19-2011 04:39 AM

i love my $10 black and decker from wally world- been a good hot faithful iron for 4 years and counting
i know there are big-heavy- fancy - expensive irons out there- in fact i have one still in it's box (6 years now) on my pantry shelf- when my good $10 iron gives out i might have to get it out...but it's (twin) sucked as far as i'm concerned so i am not in any rush to get it out and deal with it.

why? well- it's heavy=
it's cordless (which was supposed to be a great feature) and shuts off on it's own- so when i needed it- it was never hot---very aggrivating in my book-
and when water was put in it it steamed/sputtered/leaked all over- and caused burns- and ...well- i just did not like it (they were both bought together for our sewing school to the tune of $159 each (on sale) we used one for 2 months---before i threw that sucker out---the other- just lives in the pantry
my black and decker stays hot for as long as i have it on- sometimes all day-
it does not weigh so much you almost need 2 hands to use it
and it does a great job.