Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New Iron is Needed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-iron-needed-t191390.html)

Pilgrim 06-10-2012 03:51 PM

New Iron is Needed

Does anyone have recommendations for a new iron. I sew everyday and press so I need one that will last. I have tried several different ones, the last one being a Shark. It started spitting, and water leaking out around cord and sole plate. I use distilled water so it isn't lime building up. I really want one that will last and work well. Please help!

momto5 06-10-2012 04:17 PM

I don't...I have been through several Rowentas and the Shark as well...but the best iron I've had lately was off a $5 shelf at WalMart...and I don't even remember the name. There is an old-fashioned "dry" iron at the Vermont Store...looks like the older ones and is probably a lot more reliable than what we're trying to use now. Good luck, if you find a good one, let us know.

lovequilts 06-10-2012 04:29 PM

I finally bought a cheap black and Decker on sale for about $25.00. I've decided to only buy cheap irons. the cost is not that much and getting pretty disposal. If an iron lasts upto a year I feel that's pretty good.

RkayD 06-10-2012 05:03 PM

I bought a dry iron on amazon for $25. Its been the BEST investment and if it goes out its not too expensive to replace. But so far ~ so good. =)

Christine George 06-10-2012 06:46 PM

I bought mine at Walmart and I use tap water in it. I figure for $20 I'll get a new one when that one wears out. It get nice and hot and steams good.

MzMcKee 06-10-2012 06:53 PM

WOW! I've had my Share for over 5years and not one issue. I love my Shark and always passed the good word when someone says they are looking for an iron. How long did you have your Shark when it started giving you problems? Mona~

Peepers 06-10-2012 07:39 PM

I've found, too, that the $25.00 irons work just as well as the expensive ones. Don't bother with the dry iron from the Vermont Country Store. I bought it a few years ago and it's very cheaply made. I ended up throwing it away after a couple of weeks as I was afraid it would start a fire.

Prettiptibbs 06-10-2012 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Peepers (Post 5280197)
I've found, too, that the $25.00 irons work just as well as the expensive ones. Don't bother with the dry iron from the Vermont Country Store. I bought it a few years ago and it's very cheaply made. I ended up throwing it away after a couple of weeks as I was afraid it would start a fire.

I second this post. My Vermont Country Store iron died within a week of receiving it. Buy a $20.00 Black and Decker at Walmart. Works just as well as the others and has a great steam output.

BluegrassGurl 06-10-2012 07:52 PM

I agree regarding the "Shark" iron. Got it last Christmas and am not happy with it at all. The auto shut-off is really a pain..... and the 'continued steam' option doesn't work half the time. :thumbdown:

Sally J 06-10-2012 09:05 PM

I have a cheap Black and Decker, works great! It was under $25. Best dry and steam iron I've ever had.