Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New iron needed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-iron-needed-t213251.html)

cad_queen_2000 02-08-2013 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by virtualbernie (Post 5846463)
I've had expensive ones and cheap ones and they all eventually die. I think quilters use their irons a lot more than normal folks and that's why they die. I now have 4 irons--a Rowenta Pressure Iron and Steamer for use when I need a lot of steam for big projects, a regular Rowenta Master made in Germany (on recommendation from this board that the ones made in Germany were made better) another smaller Rowenta that got passed down to me when my brother passed (had a crack in the top of it--I guess he dropped it but it's still going strong (also made in Germany) and the Continental mentioned above. I've had them quite a while, I guess they've lasted so long because I alternate using them.

You know, you are totally right, I have more than one sewing machine, more than one ironing board, a dozen seam rippers, half a dozen rotary cutters, and probably 8 or 9 mats, so, why not have more than one iron?

I think I will just go out and buy that same Shark again, (if still available), and have no hard feelings towards my B&D, as I am sure it will find it's place soon enough. I liked the nice long cord on the Shark, it must have been at least 12 feet long.

BellaBoo 02-08-2013 10:17 AM

I use to use an old iron, cut the cord off, to hold a long ruler in place when cutting fabric. It worked great with a few sandpaper dots on the bottom.

Skyangel 02-08-2013 11:05 AM

I bought a Rowenta, it started leaking soon after purchase. Then one day it started steaming like mad, then pop, it died. It was 2-3 years old. I have another Rowenta, I bought it at a charity silent auction at work for $1.00. The sole plate was all brown and cruddy but I cleaned it and it's been great since, about 3 years now. However, I will not buy another Rowenta. Probably a cheap one I can throw away with no regrets when it dies. Nothing lasts anymore things are made too cheap.

Gladygirl 02-08-2013 01:21 PM

I always buy an iron at Walmart because the Rival, Panasonic and Black & Decker models are lighter weight for my arthritic hands--tried my SIL's Rowenta and could hardly lift it without water and it didn't do any better job than my cheaper ones.

nancy14418 02-09-2013 11:56 AM

I can't say enough the Oslo Iron. Got one several years ago, I think they had just come out, at the sewing & quilt show in Puallup, WA. (I'm sure I spelled that wrong, sorry WA folks) Anyway, the iron is wonderful, gets hot fast, doesn't spit, but most important it has legs that come out when you take your hand off of the iron. It stands up an inch or so off the ironing board. Such a blessing with my unhappy hands!

hopflower 02-14-2013 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by nancy14418 (Post 5849801)
I can't say enough the Oslo Iron. Got one several years ago, I think they had just come out, at the sewing & quilt show in Puallup, WA. (I'm sure I spelled that wrong, sorry WA folks) Anyway, the iron is wonderful, gets hot fast, doesn't spit, but most important it has legs that come out when you take your hand off of the iron. It stands up an inch or so off the ironing board. Such a blessing with my unhappy hands!

I have been reading about those Oliso irons. I understand that they can vary greatly; but then, what can't? It would depend upon the individual iron and the model one bought, I suppose. The ones recommended though are more than I would pay for an iron. Almost two hundred dollars for an iron is a bit much for me!

hopflower 02-14-2013 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Skyangel (Post 5847491)
I bought a Rowenta, it started leaking soon after purchase. Then one day it started steaming like mad, then pop, it died. It was 2-3 years old. I have another Rowenta, I bought it at a charity silent auction at work for $1.00. The sole plate was all brown and cruddy but I cleaned it and it's been great since, about 3 years now. However, I will not buy another Rowenta. Probably a cheap one I can throw away with no regrets when it dies. Nothing lasts anymore things are made too cheap.

I don't think I would buy another Rowenta, either.

hopflower 02-14-2013 07:45 AM

Thanks all. I am leaning toward a B & D or a Sunbeam, which seem to be around an acceptable price and somewhat reliable.

solstice3 02-14-2013 02:29 PM

I love my Rosetta with the water tank. It was pricey but does a great job

TinkerQuilts 02-14-2013 03:32 PM

My Rowenta starting leaking and spitting about 6 months after I purchased it. When it was about 1 1/2 years old it overheated while I was ironing. Burned the fabric and the burn-resistant ironing board cover. I now have a Reliable Digital Velocity that's been really great so far.