Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New Iron (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-iron-t287802.html)

lizzy 04-26-2017 04:33 AM

New Iron

I want to buy a new iron for my daughter and would like the kind that lifts up from the board when not using. Don't know what it is called and if anyone knows where the best price can be found, please post it on this board. Thanks.

Quilt30 04-26-2017 04:41 AM

Oliso is the iron

Boston1954 04-26-2017 06:10 AM

I saw Jenny (Missouri Star Quilts) use one in a video. Maybe their site has them for sale.

bungalow59 04-26-2017 06:20 AM

Oliso iron
About $160
Target, Amazon carries them.
My quilt guild purchased 6 of them last year for our workshops, and unfortunately the general opinion is that they do not get hot enough. But the self lifting feature is innovative.

Jordan 04-26-2017 07:20 AM

I see Jenny Doan on Missouri Star Quilt Co use one when she does her tutorials and they look very nice to use but I don't have any feed back for you. Good luck on your search.

Dolphyngyrl 04-26-2017 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by bungalow59 (Post 7812013)
Oliso iron
About $160
Target, Amazon carries them.
My quilt guild purchased 6 of them last year for our workshops, and unfortunately the general opinion is that they do not get hot enough. But the self lifting feature is innovative.

I have to agree. My Rowenta gets hotter and my olio leaks. Also I have heard that people who use that feature tend to start fires when using other people regular irons because they are so used to that feature. I think they are way overpriced IMHO

Jennifer23 04-26-2017 08:47 AM

They're by Oliso. I have the yellow one and really like it - my wrist was getting aggravated when I ironed lots of blocks, and I figured it was from tipping the iron onto its end. The Oliso has been great; I can press seams for hours now! I find that it gets hot enough.

I'm not in the US, so I don't know all the places they're available, but I have seen good prices on Amazon.

cashs_mom 04-26-2017 09:12 AM

I like my yellow Oliso. It gets hot enough for me. Contrary to most here, I don't want my iron too hot. I feel that while it does press the fabric very flat, it's probably not good for it. Just like a hot dryer isnt' good for fabric. I got mine from Bed, Bath and Beyond and they allowed me to use my 20% off coupon which really helped. They also shipped it to me free.

nativetexan 04-26-2017 09:33 AM

expensive isn't always great. i've heard bad things and good things on almost every iron. some places have sales, good luck.

QuiltE 04-26-2017 12:08 PM

I'm sold on my Oliso iron and would replace it, should anything ever happen.

The auto-lift feature can be disabled if you choose.

However, like Jennifer23, it has been a saving grace re physical issues.
It has definitely help alleviate shoulder problems I was having.

DolphynGyrl ... As for concerns re fires, when using other irons.
Yes, I am sure it could happen, as you develop a different habit in using the Oliso.
Just the same as the first while you have it, you want to stand it on end.

However, if you leave it down, in error ... I am sure you would "smell" the burn, long before flames.

As with any iron, you really should turn it off, when you leave the room.
Not doing so, probably causes a lot more fires than any Oliso-iron-user has ever caused from mis-use of a conventional!!