Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New kit! Comments on store? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-kit-comments-store-t48864.html)

Kitsie 06-12-2010 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Pam B
Kitsie, Her templates are an acrylic material and about 1/4 to 3/8 in thickness. They are quite sturdy. I am able to easily use them to cut a width by butting my long ruler up against and then removing the template to cut a long strip. Makes it easier when there are going to be several of a certain template # to cut. The templates have a hole in the center at one end and I just slip them on a binder clip so I don't lose any. I did put little round sandpaper dots at the corners on the back sides to keep them from slipping when I am cutting. Were they pricey? I looked but I don't see the price marked on them...probably about $15, I am just guessing. I think making your own templates would be fine but I know me and I would never get around to doing that. Oh, and I bought a teeny-tiny rotary cutter (I didn't even realize they made them so small) to cut around the edges of the templates. It is wonderful!

I really do like this BOM. Marti Mitchell's directions are very clear and by using these little templates and cutting off the dog-ears, my blocks just seem to go together so well. I hope you enjoy doing your quilt! Have you thought about getting any addtional fabric and making some pillow shams to go with? My LQS has the extra fabric available so I that is one of the summer projects I am planning to do.

Thanks for the reply, Pam. I trace around my templates (usually able to fold fabric to 4 thicknesses) then cut with a ruler, too. I've only ever seen them offered for about $20.00 so I've now cut out my own as not that many are needed. My avatar block is one that I did from a MM design for the Spring 2009 Patchwork Party quilt and I did pillows for that, too. It turned out beautifully and I've posted it here a few times.

Must do some UFO's but I can do bits of this one! Really glad I got the whole kit at once! Can we see some pictures of yours?

sweet 06-21-2010 05:32 AM

I have this kit also but have been a little intimidated to start it. I did do a test block that came out pretty good. I have the light colorway and the templates. How are your blocks coming along?

How many people do we have doing this here?

Kitsie 06-21-2010 08:04 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by sweet
I have this kit also but have been a little intimidated to start it. I did do a test block that came out pretty good. I have the light colorway and the templates. How are your blocks coming along?

How many people do we have doing this here?

They match up very well. Pam B and I both find that the fabric is not the best and tends to ravel at the edges. Rotary cutting is possible, but even with a brand new blade only 2 layers are advised. The pattern has them all laid out on a single layer anyway, but I tend to fold and trace where possible and cut out a lot of them with scissors.

Plunge right in! It's all about accuracy of cutting and sewing! Here are the three I've done so far....

3 Done!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]89187[/ATTACH]

Second block
[ATTACH=CONFIG]89188[/ATTACH]

pollyjvan9 06-21-2010 08:07 AM

Looking forward to seeing your BOM progress.

Kitsie 06-21-2010 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Pollyv9
Looking forward to seeing your BOM progress.

Look up, Polly! Look up! Good morning and thanks!

pollyjvan9 06-24-2010 08:34 AM

Beautiful. The money was well worth if, I think, even if the quality wasn't quite what you would have wanted.