Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   new long arm quilter (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-long-arm-quilter-t150694.html)

fabric_fancy 09-05-2011 05:15 PM

start visiting shows and look at pics on various machine quilting forums.

study the quilting for what you like and what works and also pay attention to the quilting that doesn't work or appeal to your tastes - this will save you a lot of time and help you know what you do and do not like.

charismah 09-05-2011 05:19 PM

You know everyone always asks me that question....How do you quilt plan?...or they ask me to quilt plan for them.

I am not sure? If I could articulate what I see when I quilt plan I would write a book or teach a class. I don't think there is any right or wrong way to choose. It's all about creativity and art is subjective.

What I instinctively think looks good someone else may not ...vise versa. Sometimes I miss the mark as well...or I think I do.

so this is a question that most people struggle with. It's just part of teh process..sometimes I will be pinning on a quilt and still not exactly know what to do...and then all of a sudden it will hit me....
:thumbup:

I know I didn't exactly help you there...but at least I can say that I know what you are asking..and what you are going through.

Selena 09-05-2011 05:52 PM

I am new to LA quilting. I have quilted 10 practice quilts. I started with a panto on the first, then a panto and borders on the next. I tried something new on each one, something a little more advanced than the last. I really enjoy free hand quilting most. When I am deciding what design to use, I hang the quilt where I have to either walk around it or walk up on it and let it talk to me. They always do. I always have things in mind that I want to try so when one comes along that fits one of those, I get excited. Feathers are fun but I suggest marking the center line at first with chalk so you start and end up where you want to. And leave ruler work alone until you have more experience. I learned the hard way. LOL

LindaM 09-05-2011 06:03 PM

Be sure to also know how the quilt will be used - your design will be different for your mom than your son.

mamaquilts 09-05-2011 06:07 PM

A few yeasrs ago , I was lucky enogh to attend a "Quilting with Long Arm Machine" weekend put on by local LAQer's It was great. I think that they are getting ready for another in Oct. It'll be somewhere in Ohio.

I guess they have a website now.

http://quiltingwithmachines.com/

amandasgramma 09-05-2011 06:12 PM

I read the quilt ---- I hang it in my sewing/computer room and stare at it, then I decide what I'm going to do. I then put it on the machine and TOTALLY do the opposite -- well not exactly opposite -- but at least 50% of my plan changes!!!! LOL

I also do a lot of research online and in books. I have looked at quilting techniques and ideas so much that some of them are imbeded in my head.

Check out www.mqresource.com. MQresource is a forum where some of the professional longarmers hang out. They have tons of ideas and help!!

Welcome and good luck!

quilttiludrop 09-05-2011 06:14 PM

Whoever you are quilting for needs to be able to tell you their likes and dislikes. If the recipient is a child then you probably want to go with bright colors and fun quilting. A subtle monotone quilt will probably get subtle monotone quilting. It is fun to have a lot of variety in your quilting. Wouldn't it be dull and boring if everyone liked the same things?

Jingle 09-05-2011 06:20 PM

I don't have a long arm machine, just a DSM, and all I do mostly is FMQ, that is what I like nost for my quilts.

tmjennings 09-06-2011 04:32 PM

Okay everyone, come to my rescue!!!
I am making a Friendship quilt with all the ladies at our church signing for a friend who is on her third round of chemo. The blocks are 6 inch square with 2 rectangles at the top and bottom of2 1/2 by 3/1/2 with a white rectangle in the middle 2 1/2 by 6 with their names on.
Now--how should I quilt it?

amandasgramma 09-07-2011 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by tmjennings
Okay everyone, come to my rescue!!!
I am making a Friendship quilt with all the ladies at our church signing for a friend who is on her third round of chemo. The blocks are 6 inch square with 2 rectangles at the top and bottom of2 1/2 by 3/1/2 with a white rectangle in the middle 2 1/2 by 6 with their names on.
Now--how should I quilt it?

Why don't you post a picture of an area of the quilt and it'll help us help you more.