Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New Machine but a cheapy (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-machine-but-cheapy-t40076.html)

raptureready 03-20-2010 03:34 AM

I bought a machine yesterday. I found a listing on Craigslist for a Brothers CE4000. So I checked it out. The girl said, "I needed it for a class, we had to make a quilt, but it's done now so I don't need the machine anymore." I asked how big her quilt was and she measured with her hands. Near as I could tell it was far less than 24" sq. When opening the machine up I could tell that it had been used but not much so I went ahead and bought it. Was $60 too much for this machine? It still had everything that came with it---4 bobbins, several feet including the 1/4", the buttonhole attachment, manuel, etc. I figured it would be okay for a backup or to take to classes since I can't afford a Janome right now.

winia 03-20-2010 03:41 AM

Sounds perfect for what you want it for. You could also
use it when the "good" one is in getting serviced. I have
a second home, and I wanted to buy a sewing machine
for it because I'm not there all the time and just wanted a
machine there to occasionally use. I paid $100 for it, and
I think I made more items with it than I did with my other,
more expensive machines. It's been many years, and
it still works very well. So, I think you got a good deal.

patricej 03-20-2010 04:07 AM

that model sells for $370 + shipping at one website. even if you needed to take it in for services before starting to use it, you'd have saved a bundle.

ya did good! :thumbup:

Teacup 03-20-2010 04:14 AM

I think you did very well, especially since is has not been used much. This isn't an expensive machine but I'm doing well with my Brother CS6000. I got it as a surprise gift and I couldn't take it back without really hurting some feelings so I decided to use it until it broke or showed itself as a piece of junk that wouldn't work, then I'd look for a real machine! Well, it has done very well for me for the past two years. No reason yet to go shopping for another machine. I think if you are on a budget, Brother and Kenmore are the way to go. Here's some reviews for your machine...a lot of people like it.
http://www.viewpoints.com/Brother-Se...130328-reviews

MamaBear61 03-20-2010 04:36 AM

I would say that you did good, my 1/4 foot was $24.95 so a machine and accessories for that money is a great deal

Oklahoma Suzie 03-20-2010 05:08 AM

I think you did well.

winia 03-20-2010 05:25 AM

The websites I have been only it sells for between $100 and
$160. Even on the Brother mall website it's $159. She
still got a good deal. A practically new machine for $60
is terrific.

raptureready 03-20-2010 09:11 AM

I had a very small Brothers that I used for years until my husband accidentally knocked it off the table and broke it. It's not so much that I'm on a strict budget as it is that I hate to spend a lot of money if I can get by with something cheaper. No, I guess it's that I really love a bargain. I scour thrift shops, garage sales, craigslist, etc.

cuppi duke 03-20-2010 10:34 AM

I have had two brothers and am still using a 10 year old 99 dollar one. They are easy to understand and work and I figure for what they cost you can throw them away after using them for a couple of years. Also, their attachments are usually interchangable with other brands, especially singers.

raptureready 03-20-2010 01:24 PM

I noticed that the attachments looked like they'd interchange with ones for Singers. I'm really pleased with it. It will work out fine for me. I currently use the Singer that can be bought at Hancocks for $199. I've used it for three or four years and it's almost worn out. There's times when it's running over 40 hrs a week. I keep my machines oiled and cleaned but I sew so much that it's just hard on them. My Singer is still usable and I'll still keep using it but there's no way I can be without a machine so I just picked up a spare when I could get one on the cheap.