Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New Machine Dilemma (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-machine-dilemma-t264191.html)

craftyone27 04-18-2015 10:43 PM

New Machine Dilemma

I have the last payout from mom's estate (about 8,000 after depositing some in both my kids' savings accounts and our main account.

So today I went and looked at the Bernina 770 QE and the optional embroidery module. I love it and the price I was quoted would leave a little money to play with. I've never done machine embroidery and am wrestling with the decision of with or without the embroidery module. I don't have to get it now - I could add it later, though I think if I don't get it now I probably won't. I'm looking for input - if you bought a fancy machine w/embroidery do you love it/regret it. If you chose not to buy the embroidery part do you now wish you had?

Looking forward to hearing what you all think

Thanks, Chris

Lafpeaches 04-19-2015 12:03 AM

When I bought my BL crescendo 2 years ago, I did not want an embroidery machine. I still don't want one.

stella63 04-19-2015 01:20 AM

I was never interested in embroidery but I got a good deal on a used bernina 830 in a shop. I've had it just over a year and I'm trying to get enthused about embroidery. I just bought some very expensive software used last of my savings to get it and I'm determined not to waste my money. The upshot of it is if I hadn't of got the machine I wouldn't of missed the embroidery but because it came with it I feel I cent waste it! !! Still not sure what to do with the embroidery side it's a hard learning curve.

Rhonda Lee 04-19-2015 01:40 AM

I 'now' enjoy the embroidery feature. I was intimidated with it at first. Here's a list of things to be aware of:

Big learning curve (was for me anyway).
It's a completely new hobby, I don't look at it as sewing.
It's all computer driven.
There is a cost on all software; you will need something in order to view your designs.
There is some free designs available but mostly I have bought mine.
There is cost in stabilizers.

I did not understand what I was getting into and thought it would be easier than I found it to be, however, after a few of years of having an embroidery machine I am now happy with it and find satisfaction in the work I have done with it.

If you decide to get it, make up your mind to use it and don't be afraid of learning something new. You might find you'd rather do the embroidery than sewing!

coffeecozy 04-19-2015 02:23 AM

Thinking back I am not really sure why I felt it was reasonable to spend so much on a toy and I certainly wouldn't say that it has paid for itself in any way. My husband often jokes that the machine was the cheap part. But I have really enjoyed my embroidery machine and the software that I got with it.
If it met some disaster tomorrow, I would be back out shopping for another one without hesitation.
I have a second machine that I keep beside it and I often sew while an embroidery is running. Some stitch outs can take an entire afternoon to finish. Maybe if I was doing it again I would buy a separate embroidery machine as it would have cost less than my 2 machines.

ManiacQuilter2 04-19-2015 02:24 AM

I am still quilting on my Bernina 1530. I too have no interest in getting an embroidery machine. They are expensive toys with all these supplies you need:

Embroidery supplies you need....

Backing - Allstitch, Hollingsworth & Vose (Stitch Backers)
Bobbins - NEB, Coats, Magna-Glide, Clear-Glide, ESC Economy Bobbins & Bobbin Cases
Cap Frames - EMS HoopTech
Clamping Systems - EMS HoopTech
Hoops - EMS HoopTech, Quick Change, Allied Gridlock, Durkee, Fast Frames
Hooping Equipment - HoopMaster
Needles - Organ, Groz-Beckert, Schmetz
Scissors - Gingher
Software - T-Quoter, E-Z Estimator, Great Notions
Supplies - Peggy's Stitch Eraser, The Embroiderer's Buddy and more
Thread - Madeira

QuiltMom2 04-19-2015 03:20 AM

I was very very lucky and got a super deal on a used Bernina sewing/embroidery machine and I'd get another machine if this one bites the dust. Yes, for me, it is a luxury and I'm not very talented but I sure do have fun!!!

Maureen NJ 04-19-2015 04:30 AM

I am unsure how to copy just the link on my IPad so here is what I wrote on here a year ago. Originally, I only wanted the embroidery for doing monograms. Do I use it. Yes, but not as much as I should. There are so many aspects to quilting, that I don't have enough time to do it all. Right now, I am into FMQ. What the others have said is true. The stabilizers and other supplies are expensive. If I had it to do over again, I would not have gotten the embroidery module. As for Bernina machines, I have a love hate relationship with them.

[h=2]Bernina 830 fixed!!![/h]
In the end of March, beginning of April, I posted about all the trouble I have had with my Bernina 830 and the embroidery module since purchasing it almost 5 years ago. I had it in for servicing 8-9 times in the first year or so. Thread breakage was such a problem. Well, after getting all new thread and eventually they changed the hook, it was a lot better but not perfect. At least I could sew. I was resolved that the embroidery part of it was a several thousand dollar mistake. I purchased it about an hours drive away so I was not happy with all my car trips to the dealer! Well, I retired Dec 31st and have been enjoying it and tried once again to embroider, only to have it keep coming up with a sensor, which I thought was thread breakage but the dealer said is bobbin empty. It would come up 100+ times in a 3x3 embroidery piece! Seeing that part of the warranty (5year) was up in May, I asked for suggestions on this board on if I should send it back to bernina for servicing or go back to my dealer as I decided I really should be able to embroider on this expensive machine. Well, I took it in for servicing with a list and told them if they couldn't fix it, I wanted it sent back to Bernina. They worked on it, said it was fixed, I brought it home and it wasn't.

So the short of this situation AND A FIX FOR ANYONE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THEIR MACHINE, is to be persistent and insistent. I went back to the dealer prepared with a quilting sample, embroidery hoops already sandwiched with the stabilizer, my walking foot, fabric for sewing and my thread. I set up in their classroom area (no classes going on) and they worked with me on and off for 4 1/2 hours. Initially, I worked with the salesman and showed him the problem with the embroidery sensor. Eventually, the technician got involved and they even called Bernina. There are apparently 8 sensors. Also the tension for the embroidery module is different than regular sewing. They also calibrated the embroidery hoops. With all the servicing they did, then the walking foot wasn't working right. So they fixed that. EVERYTHING IS WORKING GREAT NOW! I am adjusting the top tension as needed. I always do a test sample and that is ok with me. You don't know how happy I am after so much frustration.

mermaid 04-19-2015 06:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 7169478)
I am still quilting on my Bernina 1530. I too have no interest in getting an embroidery machine. They are expensive toys with all these supplies you need:

Embroidery supplies you need....

Backing - Allstitch, Hollingsworth & Vose (Stitch Backers)
Bobbins - NEB, Coats, Magna-Glide, Clear-Glide, ESC Economy Bobbins & Bobbin Cases
Cap Frames - EMS HoopTech
Clamping Systems - EMS HoopTech
Hoops - EMS HoopTech, Quick Change, Allied Gridlock, Durkee, Fast Frames
Hooping Equipment - HoopMaster
Needles - Organ, Groz-Beckert, Schmetz
Scissors - Gingher
Software - T-Quoter, E-Z Estimator, Great Notions
Supplies - Peggy's Stitch Eraser, The Embroiderer's Buddy and more
Thread - Madeira

I've had emb machines since early '90's..presently have 3, 2 of which are the Brother Pacesetter ULT's (they sew & embroider). They all came with hoops except the cap frame-which I have no need for. P E Design software came with one of my machines, but you can D/L free software for almost anything you need to do, including digitizing your own designs. I've no need for the hoops/equipment mentioned above--already owned scissors and needles, no clamp system??, no expensive stitch eraser. The only expense I've had is a viewing program for my computer so that I can see images of my designs, and that only cost $39, stabilizer and thread. Oh, and a ''merging" software that cost me $5 introductory price. I like to try out any new program. I thoroughly enjoy my machines--making quilt labels, decorating gifts, making in the hoop projects--it soothes my soul to be creative. I've monogrammed everything from hankies to towels--put hot rod design & co. name on a denim jacket...just now making a shopping bag for my widowed neighbor and having such fun decorating it with something other than "walmart" on plastic. Go for it if you have the money and want to broaden your crafting. I still sew garments, quilt, create designs and have a ball. Would not be without my machines! Here's my bag that I've begun to decorate...[ATTACH=CONFIG]517374[/ATTACH] And BTW, this design was free.

Snooze2978 04-19-2015 06:12 AM

I have 2 embroidery machines, my Viking D1 back in 2000 because it was an embroidery machine too. Now I use it strictly for piecing and use the other one for embroidery strictly. If I need to use my Viking I know I can. As one person mentioned, if you don't get it now you may never. If embroidery is something you think you might like to try out, see if you can find someone near you that will allow you to play with theirs or ask them everything you need to know about getting into embroidery. Its not a cheap hobby by any means of the word. There is thread and stablizers needed too.