Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New material...what did I buy this for? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-material-what-did-i-buy-t309731.html)

lindaschipper 02-13-2020 04:33 AM

New material...what did I buy this for?

So the mail lady arrives and my husband carries it in saying "More packages for Pumpkin"...that's me. Upon opening to find beautiful jelly rolls, or charm packs I ask myself what pattern was I thinking about when I ordered these?? Surely I had something in mind. Am I the only one who does this? Or did I buy simply because it had a great price tag? My check register is actually a "subject notebook" because it has more room to write in than those tiny registers that come with our checks is a great place to keep track of all this stuff. Now I'll be writing who I ordered from and what I had planned to do with it. such as Green Fairy Quilts...Sarah's Story by Betsy Chutchian...Garlic Knots pattern. As I age, (will be 68 on Sunday) it's easier to write things down when I think of it, than to play the guessing game all the time.

Karamarie 02-13-2020 04:46 AM

Looking at fabric, whether in a quilt store or on line, is like a kid going into a candy store-irresistible. Have fun with it.

junegerbracht 02-13-2020 04:46 AM

I’m with you. I often buy because I fall in love with a fabric, pattern or kit. Although I may never get to use all these “projects”, they do inspire me and make me happy. My husband reminds me that I could be spending money on worse things.

Onebyone 02-13-2020 04:51 AM

The looking, choosing, and buying the fabric is the fun. If I make something with it that's a bonus. LOL I check the daily deals on several websties every day. I always have a package coming. Precuts are easy to store and makes nice gifts to my quilting friends.when I forget their birthdays, or if they need a little cheer up.

SusieQOH 02-13-2020 04:57 AM

I'm much like Onebyone- I almost never have a project in mind when buying and I love getting packages!!! :)

There are so many deals online and I have very little willpower.

I don't write anything down either. Maybe there's a reason for that lol

tranum 02-13-2020 05:25 AM

What can we say ......we love fabric & we don’t need to make excuses or explain. That said, I don’t have a big stash.

Doggramma 02-13-2020 06:34 AM

I just buy fabric without a specific purpose usually. It’s admirable to try to keep track of it! And I love your nickname. My husband has a sweet one for me too.

1Nanoo 02-13-2020 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH (Post 8360370)
I'm much like Onebyone- I almost never have a project in mind when buying and I love getting packages!!! :)

There are so many deals online and I have very little willpower.

I don't write anything down either. Maybe there's a reason for that lol

Oh, you ladies make me feel so much better about myself. I secretly thought perhaps I was the only one who might order just 2 packages of charm squares or a jelly roll just because I like the way it looks, and I might want to use it sometime. I love going to the mailbox and finding a package. I have been known to order the same templates more than once, but I just think--oh, well, if one breaks, I will have a spare.

sewingsuz 02-13-2020 08:10 PM

Yes, I buy it for some project but maybe change my mind before I get to it. Getting packages is fun, I agree.

Anniedeb 02-13-2020 09:23 PM

Most of the fabric I have has been purchased because it *spoke* to me! Fabric winds up in my cart, and I usually have no rhyme or reason for my purchases. Odd thing though, is that usually if I find a pattern, or see a picture I like, I can pull enough stash fabric to make the pattern, matching pretty closely.