Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New to me (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-me-t286408.html)

true4uca 02-26-2017 09:38 AM

New to me

There is a lady in our quilting group who knows everything about quilting (eye roll). another gal was sewing on binding using her walking foot & serpintine stitch. This lady told her she would ruin her walking foot as they were designed for only straight stitching. Who knew.

Helen6869 02-26-2017 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by true4uca (Post 7773097)
There is a lady in our quilting group who knows everything about quilting (eye roll). another gal was sewing on binding using her walking foot & serpintine stitch. This lady told her she would ruin her walking foot as they were designed for only straight stitching. Who knew.

I have sewn binding on with the walking foot and a serpentine stitch. Works fine on my babylock. love the look of this and it is pretty easy. Doesn't appear to have bothered my foot yet!

nativetexan 02-26-2017 09:53 AM

I've heard that too. maybe it depends on the machine.

Cari-in-Oly 02-26-2017 10:06 AM

If they were only designed for straight stitch, they wouldn't have a wide enough needle area to accommodate other stitches.

Cari

Patricia Drew 02-26-2017 10:42 AM

It may depend on the walking foot. The walking foot on my July HZL-DX7 has a wide enough needle area to accommodate decorative stitches. The first time I used it for that purpose, I did manually lower the needle just to make sure it wouldn't hit the foot.

katier825 02-26-2017 10:50 AM

It depends on the machine. Viking has a walking foot that works with the decorative stitches, which go forward, back, etc.

EasyPeezy 02-26-2017 10:50 AM

It depends on the machine. I know I can use some stitches on my machine but
not all. The ones that I am not supposed to use are greyed out on the chart.
She should check in her manual or with the dealer.

Watson 02-26-2017 10:52 AM

Gee, maybe she doesn't know "everything"?

Watson

Peckish 02-26-2017 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by true4uca (Post 7773097)
another gal was sewing on binding using her walking foot & serpintine stitch. This lady told her she would ruin her walking foot as they were designed for only straight stitching. Who knew.

Interesting. I would have asked her to explain how it would ruin her walking foot. My walking foot is wide enough to accommodate every stitch my machine has, so I can't envision any problems.

true4uca 02-26-2017 11:59 AM

Normally I just avoid her. LOL. This time I did ask and she said your walking is not designed for such side to side movement ( insert her tone of don't question me, I know best).

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 7773150)
Interesting. I would have asked her to explain how it would ruin her walking foot. My walking foot is wide enough to accommodate every stitch my machine has, so I can't envision any problems.