Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New mechanical (not computerized) machine suggestions with large throat/harp (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-mechanical-not-computerized-machine-suggestions-large-throat-harp-t289469.html)

mmncsw 07-06-2017 04:27 AM

New mechanical (not computerized) machine suggestions with large throat/harp

My grandmother's old Singer touch and sew sewing machine that I've used for years finally went kaput, sadly. I'm now looking to get a new machine for quilting.

I'm looking for something mechanical (not computerized). Ideally I'd want one with a drop in bobbin (not in a case you have to remove). I loved that her machine you filled the bobbin without taking it out, but can't seem to find that in other machines unless I don't know what you call it. I also ideally want a large harp/throat area to quilt larger size quilts. If there was an auto threader it would be great too as my eyes age threading is harder. I also want it to do more than a straight stitch (zig zag) in case I want to try applique or a reverse quilt again.

I've looked at other posts on this forum for advice and the choices are pretty overwhelming.

So far the ones that have appealed to me are the Baby Lock Jazz and Brother PQ1500S but reviews suggest tension and bobbin issues which worry me...does Janome have something like those?...I want a machine that's not fussy...any suggestions?

bigsister63 07-06-2017 04:55 AM

I have a PQ1500s and love it! I really have no complaints except for the needle will come unthreaded easily. Not sure why! Have no problem with tension. sew like a work horse. Really like tht the presser foot tension is adjustable. Not have a drop drop in bobbin which can be irritating when thread runs out as you are sewing. I bought it $600 from Amazon with free shipping and no tax. I would suggest that you test drive machines before you buy

Another thing. I would suggest that you also have an other machine that does fancy stitches. You never know when you may need them- applique, etc. maybe you can find one on Craig's list. Many time sewers want to upgrade with nothing wrong with the old machine.

Stitchnripper 07-06-2017 05:32 AM

I have a new to me P1500 and I do love that machine. I have had to work with finding the right thread/needle combo for Free Motion Quilting but I am getting much better on that account. I've never had a tension or bobbin issue with it.

I think the Jazz does not have the needle down position

And yes, sometimes the needle comes unthreaded. Mostly when using the thread cutter. On the good side, though, is that it leaves enough to start sewing again (if it doesn't come unthreaded).

Good luck with your decision. Let us know what you get.

Joset 07-06-2017 05:43 AM

1600p janome is just straight stitching

QuiltE 07-06-2017 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Joset (Post 7858785)
1600p janome is just straight stitching

..........and a real trooper of a machine!

mmncsw 07-06-2017 06:02 AM

thank you!

mmncsw 07-06-2017 06:03 AM

thank you! Is it easy to thread if it comes unthreaded easily?

mmncsw 07-06-2017 06:05 AM

Anyone had a Juki? Juki TL2010Q orJUKI TL-2000Q they also seem to have a lot of features I am interested in...

Dolphyngyrl 07-06-2017 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by mmncsw (Post 7858828)
Anyone had a Juki? Juki TL2010Q orJUKI TL-2000Q they also seem to have a lot of features I am interested in...

Keep in mind that the brother 1500 Babylock jane and janome 1600 are just juki machines renamed so they are all going to get good reviews for that reason. All the machines will give you the same results and are all popular.

QuiltnNan 07-06-2017 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by mmncsw (Post 7858828)

I had this one and just loved it... even put it on my quilting frame. sadly, sold it with the frame set up.
Now I have this one and love it! It is a little computerized, but trust it because it is a Juki. http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/hzl-600.php