Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New member, Need advice on overcoming inconsistant hand stitches. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-member-need-advice-overcoming-inconsistant-hand-stitches-t208607.html)

adamae 12-16-2012 06:01 PM

New member, Need advice on overcoming inconsistant hand stitches.

I have been monitoring the QB for awhile and learrned so much! This, after many, many years of sewing and quilting...Happy to be a part of dedicated quilters. I am a hand quilter and piece by machine. Have 5 machines, various ages. I am a senior citizen with painful arthritis in my lower back so, I sit to do as many tasks as possible. Make my own quilt frames with boards and "C" clamps like my mother had which were propped up on designated chairs. Here in the South, I hear ladies tell of hanging frames from the ceiling but never experienced that at home. I learned quilting from my Mennonite mother and her church "sisters". Is it true for others that one's technique is always a neverending project or how many are happy with where you are. I never seem to be consistant enough to please self. I learn new stuff every time I meet with quilters Would love advice on how to overcome my inconsistance with hand stitching. I love hearing about members and what they are working on here on the Quilting Board.

bearisgray 12-16-2012 06:16 PM

Welcome from Minnesota!

Treasureit 12-16-2012 06:22 PM

Hi Adamae and welcome! I don't know the answer to your question because I too am inconsistent. I think of it as evolving...when I learn something new and try it...I either keep it or decide to pass on it...somethings work well for one person and not another.. I get bored doing the same patterns so I am always looking for the next one I want to try....I have more ideas...than time available...HA HA.

I didn't have the benefit of learning and quilting skills from others...although my grandmother made quilts...my mother didn't. I bet you have an advantage over many of us having learned from your family and friends.

Tartan 12-16-2012 06:33 PM

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. Are you asking about a consistent hand quilting stitch length? If so, I notice that if I can load my needle with 4 to 5 stitches and then pull the thread through that I get more consistent stitch length than just a couple of stitches loaded on the needle. The more stitches loaded on the needle can make it harder to pull the needle through so try a broccoli elastic for a better grip or keep a pair of needle nose pliers handy. I have a nice set of pliers from Walmart that were in the jewelry aisle with rubber hand grips and springs for easier use.

Silver Needle 12-16-2012 06:35 PM

I have just started a little hand quilting to finish something my daughter started for me. I have her quilt hoop as her hands no longer tolerate hand quilting. I have better luck with this because I found a quilting direction that works best for me then am able to rotate the hoop to keep quilting that preferred direction. If you are interested PM me and I will find out the brand or maker of the hoop. It will tip/tilt/adjust to any way that is comfortable for you.

QuiltnNan 12-16-2012 06:41 PM

welcome from Minnesota and happy quilting :)

cathyvv 12-16-2012 06:43 PM

Adamae,

My personal mantra is this: When I stop learning new things, I'm dead!

So, yes, there is always something new to learn or master, or even invent!

Pat625 12-16-2012 06:51 PM

I have found that no matter what new skill I try..practice makes perfect (or as close as I can get LOL)

jollyquilting 12-16-2012 07:01 PM

Welcome from Co., I embroider by hand and have to adapt to holding the needle because of arthritis too, I hsave been afraid to try hand quilting but never give up.

mighty 12-16-2012 07:02 PM

Welcome from Southern CA!! There is always something new to learn!!!!