Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New needle -- why didn't I think of that?! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-needle-why-didnt-i-think-t212672.html)

gramma nancy 02-01-2013 11:30 AM

New needle -- why didn't I think of that?!

I just started a new quilt -- or at least I have started to make some lovely blocks that may end up as a quilt one of these days. . .. Anyway, I was having a problem with the threads in the fabric pulling (almost like when you pull a thread to find out where the straight of grain is) as I was sewing. I couldn't figure out what was wrong, but I finally decided it was the needle and, sure enough, when I replaced it, the stitching was perfect.

It's not like I never change the needle, in fact, I had changed it a couple of times lately when I broke (!) not one but two needles as I was trying to make a diaper bag and had real problems, probably cause I used much too stiff an interfacing.

So, this just a reminder that, if you are having some sewing problems and even if you think your needle is not the culprit, try changing the needle. Worked for me.

Thanks for letting me share.

bearisgray 02-01-2013 11:33 AM

Good advice!

mighty 02-01-2013 12:22 PM

Good advise thanks!

jcrow 02-01-2013 12:32 PM

And make sure you are using the right size of the needle. Check Superior Threads. The weight of the thread and the needle size need to match. I spent two and a half years claiming I had a bad sewing machine because my size 70 needle wouldn't sew 40 wt. Mettler thread. Finally the dealer put a 100 needle in my machine and it sewed perfect! I had complained here on the board forever about it and to my LQS owner and the dealer's wife and no one had an answer. Needle and thread must match!

quilt addict 02-01-2013 01:03 PM

I need to change mine again, guilty of sewing over pins lately.

jrhboxers 02-01-2013 01:11 PM

I have started replacing EVERYTHING sooner. When I am starting to cut out a new quilt, I use a new rotary blade. When I start sewing on a project, I use a new needle.

Having invested (or more) in fabrics, then I can afford to spend another $5 on replacements. I still keep the 'used' blades and they are used for batting and/or paper. But I decided to make another investment in the project, knowing that it will be worth it in the mean time. Besides the cost of the fabric is the cost of my sanity trying to figure out why thinks don't seem right sometimes.

Since I started this, I actually have a more enjoyable time sewing. Go figure! I don't know why I didn't think of it first.

Oh - and I do the same with straight pins. If they don't want to go through or are bent, I toss them in a pop can.

Teeler 02-01-2013 01:29 PM

Jeanne- Got a quick-reference table for needles and thread matching?

QuiltnNan 02-01-2013 02:16 PM

thanks for sharing

quiltyfeelings 02-01-2013 08:03 PM

It's the little things :-)

Gladys 02-01-2013 08:18 PM

Lots of good advice. Thanks guys.