Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-quilt-t307092.html)

1stitcher 09-25-2019 06:55 AM

New quilt

The quilt I'm currently working on is almost finished and already my thoughts are at the next one. The only problem is that I don't know what to make.

My patchwork of the crosses design by Lucy has given me such a great time. Any suggestions?

Tartan 09-25-2019 08:29 AM

I usually have a purpose in mind for starting a quilt. I also keep an idea file of patterns I want to try if needed. Often after a big quilt, I do some smaller projects for fun and done.

Moira in N.E. England 09-25-2019 08:31 AM

Can you narrow it down to who the quilt is for or where it is going to go?

And you could always start on a Christmas project - a table runner or throw perhaps?

joe'smom 09-25-2019 08:35 AM

If your last quilt was Lucy Boston, how about googling 'challenging quilts' and check the images. Maybe you will see something you like.

luvstoquilt 09-26-2019 04:42 AM

I do the same as Tartan. I have a long list of quilts I am anxious to make.

1stitcher 09-26-2019 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom (Post 8305801)
If your last quilt was Lucy Boston, how about googling 'challenging quilts' and check the images. Maybe you will see something you like.

to me the Lucy Boston quilt wasn't challenging at all. I had a lot of fun doing it. I always have a lot of blocks in my mind which I want to make in the future. There are so many great things to make.

1stitcher 09-26-2019 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt (Post 8306039)
I do the same as Tartan. I have a long list of quilts I am anxious to make.

I like the E. Roosevelt quote. I always try to keep that in mind when making a quilt.

stitch678 09-26-2019 05:02 AM

I go thru my pinterest boards and browse...many ideas! Before pinterest, l also have a large collection of quilt magazines. Over time, l've put bookmarks in many so l can revisit and find the one that caught my eye.

zozee 09-26-2019 05:19 AM

I read a good suggestion here years ago. Can’t remember who posted it. But when she wants to try a block without committing herself to a whole quilt, she makes the block in red, white and blue.

If she decides she likes making it and wants to make a whole quilt, she uses fabric in whatever colorway she has in mind. The red/white/blue block is added to her other practice blocks till she has a patriotic sampler made! Nothing wasted, and everything is coordinated instead of having a mish-mash of orphan blocks.

Snooze2978 09-26-2019 05:23 AM

I usually have a couple projects going at one time. I have a shelf with future projects on it also. All my quilts are gifts to others so I asked them way in advance what their colors are, what size would they like, type of pattern, etc. By the time they get the quilt, they've totally forgotten I was making them one so its a surprise to them all over again. Trying to finish the ones I've started before I go to the shelf again. Have at least 10 that need quilted, 1 for binding, 1 on the frame now and 5 I've started already.