Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New quilter wondering where I can find inexpensive fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-quilter-wondering-where-i-can-find-inexpensive-fabric-t159943.html)

crystaltx 10-12-2011 12:12 PM

Are there any tips you can give me for building up my fabric collection cheaply? Is there a place where a company might just be getting rid of it or something? It seems very expensive at places like Joann or Hobby Lobby, especially for quilt backing, but I would be happy just to have a fun assortment of scraps to work with. Thanks!

jljack 10-12-2011 12:16 PM

Ummmm. That's a very good question!! One we are all asking all the time!!

My favorite online/catalog place is Connecting Threads. They have nice fabric for a good price. You can buy tons of fabrics on eBay. You can sign up at JoAnn and Hancock for their sale flyers, and there are always coupons in those. You can hit garage sales. There are lots of places you can get fabric cheaper than at the local quilt shop.

cherylynne 10-12-2011 12:18 PM

Some people use recycled clothing for scraps. Others pick up fabric at yardsales or resale shops. There are also fabric outlets.
Some online stores like connecting threads have lower prices and I've also bought pieces on ebay. Good luck!!

Rhaorth 10-12-2011 12:27 PM

also right here on this forum, many great folks put fabric up for sale at very reasonable prices. A great place to start (and if I had a budget for fabric, I would be doing a lot of buying here)

quiltstodo 10-12-2011 12:29 PM

I agree Connecting Treads is great. Check out their clearance section they add new things all the time. Also I see you're in Texas and most of the walmarts there have pretty good fabric at good prices. I usually go to the one's in Stephenville and Gatesville since when I'm there i'm in Hamilton.

quiltstodo 10-12-2011 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Rhaorth
also right here on this forum, many great folks put fabric up for sale at very reasonable prices. A great place to start (and if I had a budget for fabric, I would be doing a lot of buying here)

Yes they do and I have bought some great pieces for really great prices here.

SUZAG 10-12-2011 12:31 PM

Re purpose sheets or curtains from the thrift store...

Becka 10-12-2011 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by crystaltx
Are there any tips you can give me for building up my fabric collection cheaply? Is there a place where a company might just be getting rid of it or something? It seems very expensive at places like Joann or Hobby Lobby, especially for quilt backing, but I would be happy just to have a fun assortment of scraps to work with. Thanks!

I shop my kids' closets. Clothes they've outgrown but aren't fit to pass on are jewels. Goodwill, Salvation Army store, Thrift stores, garage sales, estate sales, Craig's List, Freecycle... I'm sure all have been or will be mentioned. Sometimes you luck into a real treasure chest of fabric. It's a harder route to go, but the vigilent prosper :)

annthreecats 10-12-2011 12:40 PM

Welcome to the message board.

Shop the sale fabrics on line, at the stores and I agree, check out Craig's List and second hand stores. You never know what you will find. Have fun searching.

Maggiemay 10-12-2011 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by SUZAG
Re purpose sheets or curtains from the thrift store...

I agree. Lots of people on this board have great luck at thrift stores finding fabric, sheets & clothes they can use in quilts.