Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   (new) Quilter's Cache blocks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-quilters-cache-blocks-t38381.html)

quiltlady37 03-02-2010 09:01 AM

Have any of you had trouble with the blocks coming out the size stated. I did a PP one last weekend. it was supposed to be 12" finished. It wasn't even 12 inches when I got it put together. I sewed on all of the lines so it should have come out correctly.

dakotamaid 03-02-2010 09:06 AM

I believe that Quilters cache patterns do not have seam allowances, you need to add them. This could be the reason your blocks are smaller.

nativetexan 03-02-2010 09:07 AM

could it be your printer?? you have to have the resizing or what ever it's called option off. most sites show a 1 inch line that also prints out so you can check it to see if it printed out correctly.
and i thought they had seam allowances... you might check that again.

bj 03-02-2010 09:08 AM

Sometimes templates printed from the internet have to be sized to none or something like that. Several people have made comments about having to make the adjustment in your printer settings so that the printer does not size them to fit on the paper (maybe something to do with allowing for margins?)

amma 03-02-2010 09:16 AM

When I print out the templates, I always measure them...sometimes they can be a bit off. Sewing the pp sections together, I use a scant 1/4" and then measure, then I can make an adjustment at that point, too.

pam1966 03-02-2010 09:47 AM

I made the mistake of printing off one from there and didn't check my printer settings- and somehow my printer was set to print at 80%. She usually includes a one inch test square to make sure that you're printing right, so ALWAYS check that! And her blocks do include seam allowance.

quiltlady37 03-02-2010 10:27 AM

My printer was set at 100% and I was doing paper piecing and sewed right on the lines. I guess I should do a practice block with fabric that I don't care about. Thanks for the info.

Deb watkins 03-02-2010 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by quiltlady37
My printer was set at 100% and I was doing paper piecing and sewed right on the lines. I guess I should do a practice block with fabric that I don't care about. Thanks for the info.

I did a pp from there, printer was set at 100% as well, sewed on the lines and my block was 12.25 not 12.50. Quarter of an inch isn't much as a single block, but added in a whole quilt, it can make a difference.

Oklahoma Suzie 03-02-2010 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
could it be your printer?? you have to have the resizing or what ever it's called option off. most sites show a 1 inch line that also prints out so you can check it to see if it printed out correctly.
and i thought they had seam allowances... you might check that again.

that's what I was thinking

Scissor Queen 03-02-2010 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by quiltlady37
Have any of you had trouble with the blocks coming out the size stated. I did a PP one last weekend. it was supposed to be 12" finished. It wasn't even 12 inches when I got it put together. I sewed on all of the lines so it should have come out correctly.

What size did the block on the paper measure? If it wasn't 12.5 inches there's no way for the block to be that size. If the whole block is printed on one page it's not going to be 12 inches even since printer paper is 11.5 and then some printers won't print in the margins.