Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New quilting project! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-quilting-project-t3414.html)

Flying_V_Goddess 12-01-2007 09:01 PM

I finally came up with an quilting idea I'm completely happy with and will be able to complete before Christmas rolls around. Yay!

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...ckredquilt.jpg

dcurvey 12-01-2007 09:11 PM

I wish you all the luck you need to get it done. I know I wouldn't be anywhere close.

Happy quilting!

zyxquilts 12-01-2007 10:10 PM

Way to go FVG!! Glad you're out of your quilt slump :wink:
I think it's going to be fabulous!
:D :D :D

Flying_V_Goddess 12-01-2007 11:10 PM

I'm hoping I'll be able to get the stuff for it this week. I'm not quite sure if I'll be able to because we just started "evil weather season" (gotta love Wisconsin winter weather) and the roads can get real bad up here.

I'm thinking about using a high loft batting on this one to make it extra plushy. :D I think the little guy would like that 'cause I'm guessing for now the quilt would just be used for floor time (or when they're bundling him up for a trip in the car) so he'd probably like that extra fluffiness to lay on.

PuffinGin 12-02-2007 09:42 AM

I'll bet he'll love it. My husband loves Buffalo plaid wood jackets and flannel shirts.

Where in Wisconsin are you? I'm in Duluth, MN. We got 12 inches of snow yesterday and last night. Heavy and rather slippery stuff. I'm glad it's done now because my DH is got tickets for a holiday tour of 8 B&Bs in town for this afternoon.

Moonpi 12-02-2007 09:49 AM

Looking good, FV. You may want to consider tying it with the exrea thick batting, if it's the stuff I'm thinking of.

mpeters1200 12-04-2007 06:38 AM

Madame Zelda....

My first two quilts ever I quilted in the ditch and used extra high loft batting. What a chore that was!!! I'm hoping to thwart your plans before you drive yourself crazy. If the quilt is for a little person, I would forgo the quilting altogether and tie tack it with worsted weight yarn. If you cut the spare yarn to 1/4 " of the knot and run your hand over it it will fuzz out and the little one won't be able to chew it off. It's much more durable for a child's quilt to be tacked as it will be laundered often and you don't want your pretty stitches to come out. I wouldn't ever machine quilt using high loft batting....Just tooo thick.

JMO

Melissa

Cathy M 12-04-2007 09:10 AM

Wow- what a vibrant and beautiful quilt!!!! Of course, I am a Chicago Bulls fan and just love that color combination. Way to go!!!

Flying_V_Goddess 12-04-2007 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by PuffinGin
I'll bet he'll love it. My husband loves Buffalo plaid wood jackets and flannel shirts.

Where in Wisconsin are you? I'm in Duluth, MN. We got 12 inches of snow yesterday and last night. Heavy and rather slippery stuff. I'm glad it's done now because my DH is got tickets for a holiday tour of 8 B&Bs in town for this afternoon.

I'm in Black River Falls, WI. We got snow fall followed by freezing rain on Saturday. Almost thought Nick wasn't going to be able to come up (the weather in Rochester was about the same here), but thankfully the weather held up and the roads weren't too bad the next day. Besides having a wonderful two days while he was up, I got the stuff for the quilt and got my Christmas shopping done. :-)

Originally Posted by mpeters1200
Madame Zelda....

My first two quilts ever I quilted in the ditch and used extra high loft batting. What a chore that was!!! I'm hoping to thwart your plans before you drive yourself crazy. If the quilt is for a little person, I would forgo the quilting altogether and tie tack it with worsted weight yarn. If you cut the spare yarn to 1/4 " of the knot and run your hand over it it will fuzz out and the little one won't be able to chew it off. It's much more durable for a child's quilt to be tacked as it will be laundered often and you don't want your pretty stitches to come out. I wouldn't ever machine quilt using high loft batting....Just tooo thick.

JMO

Melissa

You're talking to someone who decided that the second quilt she was going to make was going to be made out of denim. Besides, I already got the stuff for it and I can't just go out and get different things for it just because what I already have may be difficult to work with (I wasted money on some things with Nick's quilt that I wish I hadn't...I don't want to go that route again.) And hey...I like a good challenge. How will I learn new quilting things if I play it safe?

mpeters1200 12-04-2007 07:20 PM

Ok...I thought about what I would do if I had to do it over again with the same materials. I would get a walking foot. So....that's my advice to you. I'm glad the weather persevered so you could have an enjoyable visit. My brother and his wife live in Milwaukee and it didn't sound so nice there.