Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New to Quilting- What are the top accessories to start with? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-quilting-what-top-accessories-start-t279651.html)

amandaKquilts 06-16-2016 12:20 PM

New to Quilting- What are the top accessories to start with?

Hello everyone!! :D

I am new to quilting and I have a few questions. I recently received a sewing machine from my grandmother as a wedding gift. My wedding guest book was actually sheets of fabric, with the plans to make it into my first quilt. Now that I am thinking of it, I would hate to make them into a quilt that may get worn over the years. I thought about maybe making some kind of quilted book? but not sure if this is a thing?

The main reason I wanted to post is because I'm interested in learning what everyone thinks would be the most needed accessories to begin with. I know fabric and thread of course. I'm also looking into purchasing a rotary cutter and a mat. I'm just curious what everyone's favorite brands may be, or if there are any other things that come in handy?

Bree123 06-16-2016 12:59 PM

Yes, you can make a quilted book. I did one from a Winnie the Pooh panel for my nephew. You can either make it the width of 2 "pages" and stitch down the center line as your spine, or I've also seen people put grommets in & secure the quilted pages together with binder rings.

As for first-time tools & supplies to see if you like quilting:
45mm rotary cutter (Olfa)
18x24" or larger cutting mat
3.5x24" or 6x24" acrylic ruler
size 80/12 Microtex machine needles (Schmetz)
50wt thread for piecing (med grey for dark colors & light ivory for paler colors) (Aurifil or Gutermann)
50wt thread for quilting in a color that mostly matches your top (Aurifil)
Warm & Natural batting is easy to quilt & fairly inexpensive
Small scissors (Gingher epaulette scissors) to clip threads
Either starch (Sta-Flo) or sizing (Best Press)
Size 2 curved safety pins for basting (or you can glue baste with Elmer's Washable glue or Spray Baste)
-for a 65x65" quilt, I need 500-600 pins
straight pins (Clover silk pins)
Walking Foot to quilt straight lines on your quilt once it's layered together

There are tons of other little toys that are fun to have, but I tried to just focus on the bare basics until you see if you love quilting. The brands I put in parentheses are the ones I use. Other than Aurifil, I certainly don't claim any of them are the best, just what I like. Feel free to ask more questions as you move through the process of making your quilt.

Good luck & happy quilting!
Bree

jbj137 06-16-2016 01:04 PM

*** Hi! Y'all from the upstate of South Carolina

Dolphyngyrl 06-16-2016 01:19 PM

A good seam ripper(get a few as they are so tiny they are easy to lose), a 1/4 inch foot and walking foot if your machine didn't come with one, a good pair of scissors I like gingher and karen kay buckley scissors, kai is also popular, thread snips or tiny scissors. Rotary cutters I still love olfa. Pins and clover wonderclips are the best. Hand sewing needles for binding, I really like roxannes as they really glide through the fabric. I like the clover brand pins as well. Other than that you can add items as you go. A basic 6x24 and 6x12 ruler are good starter rulers. If you like the look of strip quilts a june tailor shape cut plus is also a good basic ruler for quilters. Mats just get a decent size one. A 24x24 is the smallest I usually work with at home other than my travel mat.

amandaKquilts 06-16-2016 01:22 PM

Hi Bee!

Thank you so much for your insight! It is definitely helpful! I'm very much looking forward to quilting as a hobby. Unfortunately, I have had my sewing machine for almost 6 months now, and I'm just now able to use it due to moving and such- but I am excited! I feel that it opens up the door to a work of creativity!

I will definitely reach out to you if I can think of any other questions. Again, I appreciate your help! :cool:

-Amanda

amandaKquilts 06-16-2016 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl (Post 7578796)
A good seam ripper(get a few as they are so tiny they are easy to lose), a 1/4 inch foot and walking foot if your machine didn't come with one, a good pair of scissors I like gingher and karen kay buckley scissors, kai is also popular, thread snips or tiny scissors. Rotary cutters I still love olfa. Pins and clover wonderclips are the best. Hand sewing needles for binding, I really like roxannes as they really glide through the fabric. I like the clover brand pins as well. Other than that you can add items as you go. A basic 6x24 and 6x12 ruler are good starter rulers. If you like the look of strip quilts a june tailor shape cut plus is also a good basic ruler for quilters. Mats just get a decent size one. A 24x24 is the smallest I usually work with at home other than my travel mat.

Thank you for your help! I have added seam rippers to my list and pins! :) Not sure how they could have slipped my mind! I''m planning a shopping trip soon so I can get started.

Onebyone 06-16-2016 02:02 PM

The first thing is find a beginner quilt class. This will save you a lot of frustration. I would also suggest you buy this: You can't beat the value: https://www.missouriquiltco.com/couch-to-quilt

quiltingshorttimer 06-16-2016 06:10 PM

I 2nd OnebyOne--a beginning quilt class is a great place to start to avoid lots of frustration. And for rulers, I recommend that my beginners get 2--a 6 (or 6.5) x 24 (you need the lenght for cutting strips, borders, etc) and a 12 (or 12.5)" square--so you can square up blocks, cut bigger blocks, etc.

In the meantime, do some small projects and get really acquainted with your new machine and work on getting an accurate 1/4" seam (sew 2.5" squares together and if it's an accurate 1/4" seam your finished block of squares should measure an exact 4 1/2" rectangle--getting that 1/4" seam is probably the most important first step). Welcome to quilting!

canmitch1971 06-16-2016 07:15 PM

My favourite tool is a bamboo stiletto that I use for a lot of things including pushing fabric through the sewing machine, turning straps, and many other things.

DOTTYMO 06-16-2016 09:38 PM

Welcome to the world of quilting. Beside all these basic tools you will need 100% cotton fabric. The pieces you have are they on cotton and what pen was used to do the writing? If the pen was not a permanent marker you need to stitch over the writing. Good luck .