Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New seam ripper.....this is cool! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-seam-ripper-cool-t180984.html)

Handcraftsbyjen 02-28-2012 06:30 AM

My eyesight isn't failing, I just usually 'reverse sew' on the couch and the lighting isn't the greatest and I hate lugging my big Ott Lite to the other room.

RV Quilter 02-28-2012 08:24 AM

I found one called Mighty Bright...it has a light and a magnifying glass. Works wonders for me on dark fabrics when I have to "undo". Ordered it online, but can't remember where for only $10.

cjr 02-28-2012 10:08 AM

I have tried one. Love the idea of a light. For my hands I found it to be on the heavy side.

JustAbitCrazy 02-28-2012 10:40 AM

I bought one at a lqs last summer, and don't like/use it. Mine is not the one pictured. It has no name on it, so I don't know the brand, but what I don't like is the seam ripper. The "finger" at the end which slides under the stitch is too big for the stitches I make. So I always go back to my fav seam ripper, which is the red Fons and Porter. I do like the light, though. I also don't like that the working metal end of the seam ripper is imbedded in a clear plastic cap which fits over the lighted end of the penlight like a cap on an ink pen. I also don't like that the metal working part is made to be able to rock a bit back and forth. I want one that is fixed, not rocking. For me it was a wasted $10 and a huge disappointment. Just mho.

Sadiemae 02-28-2012 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy (Post 5016323)
I bought one at a lqs last summer, and don't like/use it. Mine is not the one pictured. It has no name on it, so I don't know the brand, but what I don't like is the seam ripper. The "finger" at the end which slides under the stitch is too big for the stitches I make. So I always go back to my fav seam ripper, which is the red Fons and Porter. I do like the light, though. I also don't like that the working metal end of the seam ripper is imbedded in a clear plastic cap which fits over the lighted end of the penlight like a cap on an ink pen. I also don't like that the metal working part is made to be able to rock a bit back and forth. I want one that is fixed, not rocking. For me it was a wasted $10 and a huge disappointment. Just mho.

Probably the same one I had. It was terrible.

Doreen 02-28-2012 11:16 AM

A light would really help. I hate to rip.

snipforfun 02-28-2012 11:32 AM

Joanns has quilting notions 50% off this weekend. Hope this ripper is in that dept.

Arleners 02-28-2012 06:41 PM

Will someone please invent a laser seam ripper! I still can't find a one that makes me happy.

Ruby the Quilter 02-28-2012 08:11 PM

I need a new ripper -but seems like they aren't very sharp. I'm traveling soon and will have the opportunity to go to some quilt shops and see what they have.

M.I.Late 02-28-2012 08:41 PM

I have the mighty bright. I love it. The magnifier and the light sure do come in handy.