Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New sewing corner (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-sewing-corner-t111640.html)

vivientan 03-28-2011 08:20 PM

We are renovating our study room in a few months time and my fiancee has agreed to convert a small section into a sewing corner for me! Yeah!

As my study is pretty small, there is only a small area of about 6 ft (width) by 10 ft (height) allocated for my sewing corner. In view of this space constraints, what can I do to maximize it? I'm thinking aloud the kind of cabinets, shelves I should install. Should they be open shelving, cabinets with doors etc. Need to take into consideration too that I'm getting an Arrows cabinet, so that will already take up some space. Not even sure if there's enough space for my ironing board, cutting table etc.

Any advice here will be much appreciated. I'm excited but at the same time vexed as there's not much space to do everything I wanted.

sjscribe 03-28-2011 08:21 PM

Maybe an ironing table that attaches to the wall and can be folded up when not in use?

needles3thread 03-28-2011 08:23 PM

Think of using the height--a tall but narrow cabinet. I like
doors on them.

vivientan 03-28-2011 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by needles3thread
Think of using the height--a tall but narrow cabinet. I like
doors on them.

I would prefer doors too as my place is extremely dusty and open shelving would subject me to lots of cleaning and dusting. But I suppose I can't avoid these open shelves as I have boxes of fabrics and batting to be stacked up.

vivientan 03-28-2011 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by sjscribe
Maybe an ironing table that attaches to the wall and can be folded up when not in use?

Thanks been wanting to do that. But problem is, I don't have much available walls to get this done :(

Rose L 03-28-2011 11:01 PM

I would look for a long six drawer dresser and put it in the center of the space. You can store a lot of fabric/notions in the drawers, put a rotary mat on top for doing your cutting and make a removable ironing board or set one of those s small ones on top when needed. You can also put hooks or peg board around the closed sides and back to hang a lot of tools, rulers and notions on. One piece with many purposes!

Debd 03-29-2011 01:57 AM

Maybe you could mount an ironing board to a cupboard door? Or hang a regular board for easy access. I also do my big cutting in another room, and cut as I sew on a smaller mat on my ironing board. Living with small spaces, you have to get creative, and prioritize what you really need in the space.

quote=vivientan]

Originally Posted by sjscribe

Thanks been wanting to do that. But problem is, I don't have much available walls to get this done :([/quote]

QuiltnNan 03-29-2011 05:01 AM

i use the small table top ironing board, even for the king sized quilt i'm working on now.

Quiltcamp 03-29-2011 05:11 AM

That's about all the space I have had for years. I use a remnant kitchen counter top supported by brackets for my sewing machine table. For my fabric I have a small armoire and plastic 3 drawer containers. They are nice because they fit under the counter and cutting table. You'll be surprise how much you can cram into a small space. But you will have to leave the room to change your mind....lol