Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   A new sewing machine $600 - $1000. What would you buy? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-sewing-machine-%24600-%241000-what-would-you-buy-t179504.html)

blessingscounted 02-15-2012 12:43 PM

A new sewing machine $600 - $1000. What would you buy?

I have a Singer Confidence Quilter that's a nice machine with the exception of the tension - not consistant from one turn on the the next. It makes me nuts - I'm used to an old Golden Touch and Sew. I do like the needle up/down feature and the needle movement. But my confidence with the stitch quality isn't great. With limited time, I want
the best quality I can afford. I purchased this machine not realizing how much I missed having a machine - now I'm
ready for a bit more. I'd your experience and input. Thank you!

Oh, I also must have a top drop bobbin. Thx.

Lynne

sewmary 02-15-2012 12:49 PM

I'd buy what I did buy with the same budget - a Pfaff Ambition. It is a wonderful machine. The IDT (built in "walking foot") is wonderful - pulls the fabric through so straight and true. Has just enough special stitches that I will never use! It is a quality machine. Has stitch up/down, needle movement, sewing with start/stop button, three speed choices, etc.

Prism99 02-15-2012 12:55 PM

Perhaps a Janome 6500? Doesn't have the even-feed built-in, but does have the wider arm for quilting.

Buckeye Rose 02-15-2012 12:59 PM

check with your local dealers for used machines.....I found a great deal on a used Janome 6600, hundreds less than new.

IAmCatOwned 02-15-2012 01:38 PM

I would buy a used Bernina.

Jackie Spencer 02-15-2012 01:43 PM

The Janome DC 3050, has the drop in bobbin and lots of other features. I just bought mine in Dec. I love it. Its in your price range also. You might do some research on it. I think you would like it.

irishrose 02-15-2012 01:45 PM

There were a whole row of machines from Amazon were across the top of my computer as soon as I opened your question. A $2000 Juki quilting machine for $850 with free shipping. If I link it, my name shows up and I'd rather it didn't. I don't know if I do a link in a PM. If you can't find it, let me know.

Maggiesmom 02-15-2012 01:51 PM

I know you can get a nice Brother machine for under $600.00 from a reputable dealer. They have several different models available depending on what you want or need. The nice thing about buying a new machine from a good dealer is that you will get a good warranty and they usually give some free service as well as lessons on how the machine works. I have two Brother machines that are 4 an 5 years old with absolutely no problems.

Dolphyngyrl 02-15-2012 06:43 PM

Brother Laura Ashley NX800, used to be the 650Q, I think are around that price, are the higher end ones not the cheap ones, or a used babylock quest if you could find one, but that would be my choice if i didn't have my babylock espire, almost got the 650Q back when i got my espire but the had such a good payment plan I said what the hell, give me the big one

blessingscounted 02-15-2012 07:58 PM

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the input. I need to do some homework and make a true list of what I "must have"
and let my fingers do some shopping before I get behind the wheel.