Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New sewing machine advice? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-sewing-machine-advice-t178173.html)

JamieQ 02-04-2012 07:21 PM

New sewing machine advice?

So, while I'm gathering the gumption (or nagging DH) to get my '35 Featherweight and Pfaff Tiptronic repaired, what would y'all recommend as an acceptable BASIC sewing machine?

I love the features listed for the Featherweight II model 118, but the search here came up with a couple of comments callIng them
"junk." (no specifics though.) I would love something with a needle up/ down option, droppable feed dogs, speed controls would be super (slower = better, in my world) and strong enough for mild machine quilting.

The only stitches I care about are straight forward and back. Zigzag is okay and a blind hem stitch might get used eventually.

My "dream" machine would also have foot pedal or hand stop/start option and a knee lift presser foot (I know- we have entered Bernina territory now-- what is there most basic model and roughly how much do they run? I want to have a clue before I stumble into a dealer and waste their time if even their bottom model is out of my league.) oh, while I'm making up unicorn sewing machines, I'd like it to be portable (and more metal than plastic and yeah, I am missing my FW!)

Is the new Featherweight (not the repros) okay for basic-basics? Do they do what they say they'll do? I'm not expecting the moon, but I don't want a toy that will just sew scrapbook paper!

Thanks in advance for any help/ advice!

irishrose 02-04-2012 08:00 PM

My LQS owner was bored when I was there Friday (there was an evening sale coming so no one was buying during the day) and showed me his new favorite. A Janome 'Scissors'. It cuts your threads as you finish a seam in addition to having the needle down and the start/stop button along with the foot pedal. It did have a lot of built in stitches, but they seemed easy to access. It was $649 with lessons, a carrying case and the extension they call a table. I'm not in the market for a machine but I would love the needle down and a nice buttonhole stitch for applique.

Jan in VA 02-04-2012 08:12 PM

A vintage Bernina 830 in good condition should run between $450-600 and will have all the features mentioned on your wishlist, plus a removable extension table. They are true classic workhorses; I couldn't live without mine! Check out your dealer's trade-ins and especially watch your regional Craigslist.

Jan in VA

Candace 02-04-2012 08:47 PM

My 13 year old Janome 9000 does what you need, so there are many older machines that would do what you need for little money. Does it have to be new? Ask your dealer what used machines he/she has and go from there.

annthreecats 02-04-2012 09:24 PM

Since you are going to look at Berninas, look for Bernina 1530 or 1630. A couple of years ago I saw a 1530 go for about $740.00. They also have the knee lift for the presser foot. Great machines. Mine was made in 1992 and it standing the test of time even with sitting idle for 5 years.

BellaBoo 02-04-2012 09:48 PM

You can't beat a Janome Gem for an extra machine. The newer models have great features and it's portable. I have the older Janome Gem Gold and it has never given me a problem. I found a Bernina 1260 for less then $500 with all the extras. I didn't need it but the price was too good to pass up.

MadQuilter 02-04-2012 09:52 PM

I would make a large throat a must for any quilting machine. Maneuvering the quilts through the regular openings is quite challenging. Just something to possibly consider. Can't really make a recommendation but want to tell you "have fun with it"

lalaland 02-04-2012 10:56 PM

I have both the Janome 720 and 760, they are pretty basic, the 760 has more stitches. In my classroom I have Janome DC2010's and Ken's Sewing has a used one coming in that he's selling for $299 (new they run between $400-500), the shipping is free. You might look at that, it's a really good machine. It doesn't have the knee lifter (also available in other brands, not just Bernina), but it has everything else you want.

http://www.kenssewingcenter.com/used...c-210_220.html

AnnieH 02-05-2012 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 4943785)
You can't beat a Janome Gem for an extra machine. The newer models have great features and it's portable.

I have a Pfaff QE4 (which I've beaten into submission) and a JG for classes.
Annie

winia 02-05-2012 06:22 AM

The problem with Singer sewing machines, the newer ones, is the noise. I have older ones, and they purr like a kitten. The newer ones have had a parts change, and they are very noisy. When I'm home, it's not a problem, but when I sew with a group of people, I get comments and all kinds of condescending looks. I suppose it was done to make the machine cheaper, but it destroyed the brand.