Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New Sewing Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-sewing-machine-t24997.html)

Evergranny 09-03-2009 11:02 AM

I am looking to purchase a new sewing machine for quilting. I can spend up to $800.00. I'd like it to have a some nice bells and whistles, along with the ability to drop the feed dogs, etc. What are your suggestions?

Jim's Gem 09-03-2009 11:35 AM

Welcome to the board from Southern California. Can't help you on a less expensive machine, but there are plenty of great people on here who can.

sewjoyce 09-03-2009 12:14 PM

Hi and Welcome from southern Indiana!

I would take a stroll through all the closest sewing machine stores in my area. Sometimes you can a very expensive used machine. And you can trey them all out and see exactly what features you want and/or need. Have fun! :D

katier825 09-03-2009 01:49 PM

I agree with sewjoyce about checking out your local sewing machine stores for both used and new. It's good to buy from someone not too far away in case you need to run back for assistance and/or moral support! :) Check out what they offer for training as well. I bought a Viking Sapphire 830 a few months ago. I had a choice of my LQS or Joann's (unless I wanted to travel 75 miles or so). The price was just about the same. Joann's offered 2 classes, my LQS offered unlimited (plus they were much friendlier!). Good luck!

butterflywing 09-04-2009 06:20 PM

go to your lqs and ask to see the service man. ask him which machine comes in LEAST OFTEN. ask what feature breaks down first. ask him which ones he repairs. that will keep him honest.

if they don't have a service person, find one in your phone book that will talk to you. a service man is the best way to get good advice. and they know you'll come to them for service eventually.

Esqmommy 09-05-2009 05:56 AM

do a search here on the board...I know this topic has come up in the recent past and there were some excellent suggestions.

BellaBoo 09-05-2009 06:52 AM

$800 is a lot of money but it won't touch the new brand name machines. Crazy isn't it? Ha! The newest Bernina is over $10,000. Which I have sewn on and will not buy even if I wanted to spend that much for a machine. I have sewn on the high end Kenmore and it's great. It has all the bells and whistles for hundreds not thousands. Don't overlook checking it out.

shaverg 09-05-2009 07:05 AM

Check out the baby lock quilting machine it runs about 800-900. You should be able to get a really good machine for that price. It won't be top of the line and may not be the so called quilting model, but you should be able to find a good machine. If you don't care about it being a computerized machine if you can find a good used Bernina 930, it is a great machine. I have always had Bernina's, but they are the most expensive machine on the market and not as good as they use to be.

Eddie 09-05-2009 08:28 AM

I bought the Brother Innovus NX-650Q Quilter's Club machine for right about $800 if I remember correctly. It has a wide throat on it for quilters, and the large platform work area. I really like it.

nursie76 09-05-2009 08:34 AM

I have a Bernina 440 QE and got it used for a good price. That said, it was over $800, but you might be able to find a dealer with a good buy on a used lower end model Bernina. They come with wonderful warranties.

I have heard there is a starter janome out there for about $400 new but don't know what it does stitch wise. There are a lot of good quality machines out there, but your best bet is to find a dealer nearby and try them out. In addition, having a shop nearby is vital as service after the sale is soooo important.

Good Luck!