Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New Sewing Machine? Yes or no (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-sewing-machine-yes-no-t2028.html)

DebJ 08-26-2007 09:12 PM

I am thinking of getting a new machine because my 30 yr. ole Kenmore is starting to have a little problem. It has to be oiled very often and even then it gets to knocking some. I will still get it checked and perhapes fixed. However, I have come across an offer from Hancocks for a Janome for $299.-- regularly $399 with free shipping. I has all the features which I've been wanting with the exception of twin needle capability but that is not a big deal. I can always sew lines twice if I should like to have that look. It's not like I do that a lot anyway. I just wonder if this is a good deal especially since I went on the Jamome site and read where this person was having problems with his machine coming on by it self and making a tangle of thread and there were some others that had also experienced this same problem. Have any of you had a haunted Janome as these said they did?

cynde 08-26-2007 09:19 PM

I've got a Janome 7000, bought it secondhand about 11 years ago, and have never had a single problem with it. I absolutely love my Janome.

It would freak me out if it started up by itself LOL

Country Quilter 08-26-2007 09:24 PM

I can't say this enuf on every MB I belong to....whatever you like is what you need....I happen to be fortunate and have had very good luck with my SKs... but I've heard horror stories also about both Janomes and SKs.. but......supposedly Janome made SKs for some time ...so there ya go!

I just recently had an issue with my newer SK..(I own 3...two over 30 years old..one just over 10 years old)....you need to go out and try out a few... go to shops where they let you do this.... OR insist that they do....and if they say no...walk away!

I've only purchased one on my own...the rest either my DH bought me as a gift or I had given to me... and when I went shopping for that one...I tried several out before making my choice. In store!...I said I needed to sew a bit on it and they let me! I still own and use them all! Up til the other day I didn't have any trouble with any of them...3 SKs (one purchased...two given) and one Viking (given to me)

I would not be afraid of a Janome machine....cuz I guess in all reality I've owned one or two...they just said SK on the outside!

Don't know if I've helped you at all! Just said my piece! :lol:

cynde 08-26-2007 09:28 PM

What is an SK?

Country Quilter 08-26-2007 09:51 PM

I'm sorry...a Sears Kenmore

Leslee 08-27-2007 06:11 AM

Janome's a very good quality machine, but I think the secret to your happiness with one will be to be sure a reliable shop that can service your machine is within a reasonable distance. Make sure you get the model's manual and read through it, that also helps. My 6600 is less than a year old and she's been the perfect little worker...tho she hasn't been in there sewing all by herself, not that I've noticed!

ready2quilt 08-27-2007 08:51 AM

I just bought that very model from Hancock's. My bad, I haven't had the time yet to get it out of the box. Somehow I keep getting sidetracked with shopping for fabric, work and housework. THEN, what did we just do last Thursday......got a new six month old puppy that needs attention to completely housebreak. The good and bad of it all......... :P

sewmuch 08-27-2007 03:23 PM

I have 2 janome mx 3123, bought on internet, and serger. They are very
good machines, and were not expensive, no trouble, one is 4 yrs old, the
other 6 mos. used a lot, by me and my grands. Have them serviced, oiled etc. when needed.

Marsha 08-27-2007 05:22 PM

I h

ave Janome 6600 and I love it have it for about 2 years