Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New sewing maching NEEDED! Need tips. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-sewing-maching-needed-need-tips-t190332.html)

QuiltingGrannie 05-29-2012 04:59 PM

New sewing maching NEEDED! Need tips.

After many many quilts and other projects made with my Brother SQ9000 sewing machine, she bit the dust tonight. I had her for only 3 years, but probably used her more than 'normal'.

Now I'm looking for a new machine. I've been spoiled with the perks this one had and would love to have the same perks in a newer, stronger machine.

Perks I'm spoiled with: extension 'table', 1/4 inch foot, needle threader (that I broke a few months ago so no big deal there), one step button holes, easy drop feed dogs, computerized stitches etc.

The SQ9000 has several stitches and capabilities I never used.

I'd like, no, I need a machine that can be used nearly everyday for up to 8 hours a day, making quilts, doing bindings, making purses, and some heavier weight work.

Any tips, leads, suggestions are appreciated.

In the mean time I'm going back to my old "White" brand machine!

Phyllis
QuiltingGrannie
Quilter's Pantry

barri1 05-29-2012 05:27 PM

You loved her to death..

JustAbitCrazy 05-29-2012 05:28 PM

There are lots of great machines available. I say focus on your "must have" features and the machines which provide them, then try out all those machines. (For me, the number one "must have" is dual feed dogs.) A great place to try/buy is a major quilt show, since they're all in one place at the same time. Then you can buy what you decide on from a local dealer. The last day of the quilt show is a also a good time to buy from a dealer there, since they will make great deals on the display/trial machine used at the show.
As to your intent to use the machine heavily, just make sure you clean and oil the bobbin area at the beginning of each sewing session and at each bobbin change while sewing. It's the best thing you can do for your machine to keep it running well.
Have fun shopping for your new machine! Take your time deciding. You need to make the best choice for your needs.

Yakkity 05-29-2012 05:29 PM

Check out the Brother/ Laura Ashley Innovis NX2000. It has a lot of great features that will interest you including a large throat area, lots and lots of stitches , and it is very easy to use with almost every foot you will need for quilting that comes with it. It has more features than I have mentioned.

Dolphyngyrl 05-29-2012 05:40 PM

I agree, I have the SQ9050, and have the older babylock version of the laura ashley NX2000 and it is a true workhorse, but very heavy because of all the metal inside, not one you can take to class, but one you can definitely grow into her. I got mine for 1800 and 1 years no interest payments and made payments of 160 a month, don't know what kind of deals your dealer offers but that might be worth looking into if you loved your brother. i love brothers and have never strayed from my brother and babylocks

Dolphyngyrl 05-29-2012 05:43 PM

Also look for a used Babylock espire or BrotherQC-1000, they might be more affordable now if your dealer has one used

morforles 05-29-2012 05:44 PM

Grannie,
I just bought a JUKI HZL F600. It has many of the features the more expensive Brother and Janome have at half the price. I've only used it twice.....waiting to take the free lessons that came with it.....but so far I am impressed with the quiet motor, and it's ability to go over different thicknesses w/o skipping stitches. It doesn't have the fancy embroidery stitches tho, only basic ones. Just another possibility for you.
Leslie

Candace 05-29-2012 06:13 PM

If you run a machine 8 hours a day, you should really be considering industrial type machines, IMO.

Christine George 05-29-2012 07:01 PM

I love my Viking. It's all metal and hard to wear out. Many models so you can get the options you want/need. I chose my Rose (and she's almost an antique - 1999) because I wanted to be able to change bobbins without removing my project, and 2, I wanted the machine to go when I put my foot on the pedal instead of having to give her a nudge with the hand wheel. I've never had an ounce of trouble with her and I've never been sorry about spending that much money. In 1999 she was on sale for $2500. A good investment because they wear well.

Lori S 05-30-2012 05:15 AM

As mentioned .. make a list of must haves and the nice but not required features/functions.... it is so easy to get caught up in the bells and whistles once you are in the shop..
Do ask what feet come with the machine. Then make a list of the feet you will add and the price of each. Use this when you get to a short list of machines to really get to a apples comparision of price.
I know I am tied to one of my machines because the cost of replacing all the feet would be quite substantial.