Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New sewing room (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-sewing-room-t86734.html)

Minnisewta 01-02-2011 05:04 PM

I use to sew at the dinning room table within talking distance of my husband and listening distance of the TV. I moved upstairs into a small bedroom. I find myself coming down every 15 mins. to see what's going on. I think I'm going to do most of the sewing in the dinning room but leave sewing stuff upstairs. I guess I don't like being all by myself.

starlight 01-02-2011 05:05 PM

DH has his woodshop in our detached garage and I took over a bedroom after one of the kids moved out. Since I fall a lot and usually can't get up he sets a timer in his shop and checks on me every thirty minutes. We usually chat for 5-10 each time.

madamekelly 01-02-2011 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid
As many of you know we moved from Iowa to Nebraska this past year. (Still moving stuff from shop!!LOL) In doing so I finally got a beautiful sewing room with lots of space. ( Or so I thought before everything started going in there!!) It is on the main level and Hubby is now in the basement in his Nebraska cave. The trouble is I think both of us are lonely. Our old rooms used to be across the hall from each other and we could actually talk to each other. (With the tv and cd player muted.) Now we have to go find one anther!! I'm wondering if I'm going to end up in the basement with him!!

Have a good 2011 everyone.

We solved that by making the sewing room (off family room) a storage for sewing supplies, and moving the actual sewing table into the family room, where his desk is. (Forces me to move around to sew, so I don't cramp from sitting sit so long.)Honestly though, his part of the room is about 30% to my 70%. :oops: (He's a keeper)

Patricia Ann 01-02-2011 06:36 PM

I HAVE A VERY LARGE ROOM IN THE BASEMENT AND MY HUSBAND IS UPSTAIR OVER ME I have a bathroom down here but if we go outside or in a different part of the house we tell each other we have been married 55 years and we spent the night together but during the day we do are thing I sew and he does computor or reading

ritamae 01-02-2011 06:38 PM

I live in a Retirement Community and we have a large Arts and Cratfs room. I use it for quilting 4 hours a day and I love it. I get a change to talk to my neighbors who know I am there and want to visit for a while. some neighbors even come to my quilting class. I use a shopping cart to move my fabric back and forth. I live on the 3rd floor and the room is on the 3rd floor. I have a den in my apartment that is my sewing room but of course it needs to be organized and that is my project for 2011 to organize my sewing room. the Arts and Crafts room has 8 tables 6 small ones and 2 large ones. I usually have 2 or 3 person who quilt and it is fun to have someone to talk to and discuss your quilting projects or ideas with.

IBQUILTIN 01-02-2011 07:39 PM

The feeling is probably partly because its a newer situation for both of you. Hopefully it will pass, or you can work out a mutual compromise

argranny 01-02-2011 07:54 PM

dh is in the living room or in bed(goes by 8) not me thats to early for me & I'm in the back of the house, when we need to talk to each other,we just call each other on our cell phones

featherweight 01-02-2011 08:07 PM

We are just the opposite here. I go to bed about 10 and DH stays up until at least midnight. He worked nights for 35 yrs so he has a hard time going to bed and getting up in the morning. I am the morning person.. I always say we were married for 35 yrs before I realized he snored!!! LOL

Damsel in DisDress 01-02-2011 08:10 PM

Do What I do~take out a few minutes to go visit, then he will do the same! You will still feel connected and get things done, after all you're still under the same roof!
Enjoy your new space!

cr12cats 01-02-2011 08:32 PM

DH office is in the basement too so when we needed new phones we got ones with a intercom on them. that way i just give him a call when I want.