Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New Sewing table (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-sewing-table-t292734.html)

lvmybskt 11-20-2017 07:48 AM

New Sewing table

I am trying to decide what I need to put my machine on. I used to have old computer tables and they were ok, but since we have moved I have been using an old school desk. It's not big enough for my Bernina B790. I want a new table but can't decide if I want to have my machine recessed down in it or not. The bobbin would be difficult to access if I have the machine recessed, but it does have a large bobbin and I don't have to fill it often. But when sewing clothes I need to use the arm of the machine. Anybody out there have any ideas? I wanted to get a table top from Ikea and use the saw horses from Ikea, they are adjustable in height and I use them now for my cutting table. I went from a very large room to a very small room so furniture from the sewing store is out. No room for it. Let me know the pros and cons of your sewing tables.

Thanks
Jan

DogHouseMom 11-20-2017 08:17 AM

Well that's a big machine once the embroidery station is added. I wouldn't want to have it recessed when the embroidery is attached (and I doubt any tables on the market have a recess that large - but I could be wrong). If it were me ... given that I'd have to raise the machine to add the embroidery and raise (or drop) it for every bobbin change ... I would opt for a table that did not recess. But you might want to look into a table that is shorter (or a taller chair??) so that the machine bed is at the optimum height.

Tothill 11-20-2017 08:47 AM

For me the most important thing is having the bed of the table at the correct height. I learned to sew back in the day when there were no free arm machines, and do not 'need' a free arm to sew anything.

I have an adjustable height Ikea table and a Sauder sewing table. Neither was expensive nor take up too much room. Both have the bed of the machine at the correct level for me to sit and sew with out straining, my should, neck or back.

Irishrose2 11-20-2017 11:05 AM

My favored sewing table wouldn't work for you - my machines are regular size. Salvation Army often has empty cabinets. They say people only want the heads of vintage machines. So I buy one and retrofit the opening. My only free arm machine has a table that drops to access the free arm, but it isn't used much anymore. I used it heavily when setting sleeves in little girl's dresses. I have difficulty sewing unless the whole area is flat, but I think it's what you are used to. One of piecing machines is a portable. I never know what to do with the weight of the quilt as it grows.

Rhonda K 11-20-2017 12:36 PM

I use these tables in my sewing room. They come in different widths/lengths/ and table finishes. The tables are sturdy and easy to put together.

https://www.staples.com/HON-Non-Fold...oduct_SS974040

dunster 11-20-2017 06:32 PM

If you get a table with a lift mechanism you can have it recessed or level, depending on what you're doing at the time. The lift can be purchased separately if you're building your own table. Here's an example - http://www.rockler.com/sewing-machine-lift-mechanism

I much prefer having my machine recessed in the cabinet. It is a little harder changing the bobbin, but I'd rather have that problem than have the machine at a different level.

Jingle 11-20-2017 06:55 PM

Years ago I bought a sewing cabinet from walmart and it still works very well for me. My machines set on top. It is very sturdy and fits where it needs to.

Passthepasta 11-20-2017 07:29 PM

I bought a $100 sewing table on Amazon after sewing on the dining room table for a year because I wanted a recessed section for my machine. It was too hard on my shoulders being up so high. Now I'm at the perfect height. The recessed area is open in the front so I can access the bobbin pretty easily. Also I can lift the recessed section if I want. The table does have some bounce when I'm sewing like the wind but I'm used to it now (it's not bad) and for $100 it was a steal.

patricej 11-21-2017 02:17 AM

check office supply stores (e.g. staples, office max) for adjustable height tables.
there are a few on the market that are raised and lowered by electric motors so you don't have to unload them and fiddle with the legs to get the height you want.
they are not inexpensive but the one i saw a few months ago was not a horrible price.

sewnclog 11-21-2017 04:09 AM

I would like to find a table that I can stand up to sew at or use the embroidery unit. They say 'sitting' is the new smoking and I'd like to be able to stand up at the machine without having to bend over; it will kill the back or neck. So far I've not been able to find one that I like or is affordable. Even my large bar/counter-top isn't tall enough;hard on my neck.
If using an embroidery unit on your's I'd not get one recessed. Not even sure it'd work well. Good luck in your search.