Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New skills for 2017 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-skills-2017-a-t284739.html)

Onebyone 12-27-2016 04:46 AM

This year I want to master machine applique and machine ruler quilting.

romanojg 12-27-2016 04:58 AM

this year I started getting back into garment making, working with the knits that weren't out 20 yrs ago when I last made clothes has been a challenge. I too rely heavily on youtube and Craftsy for inspiration and help. I took two classes at a retreat in Oct with Angela Wolf and also watch all of the web cast and videos that Peggy Segars puts out, which is a lot. Most of them get watched multiple times. I want to build my skills. My grandkids were so excited to get home made pj's this year. My granddaughter told me I had to put tags in them so they'd know the front from the back. My license plate is GGBABZ for GiGi's babies, so I made a tag with a red heart and my license plate on it. When I gave Rinny her long skirt she looked for the tag first and was so excited.

I also have tons of embroidery designs and projects that I want to start on. I want to make sure all of my grandkids and great grandkids have something homemade to keep from me. I also want to start getting quilting back into the game. I haven't done too much this year due to personal issues. I also have the Sashiko machine and the felting machine and want to work those into my plan.

Aurora 12-27-2016 05:06 AM

My first and foremost goal is to finish my bag challenge project and then make a couple of other bags. I also have several patterns picked out to make and/or complete.

meanmom 12-27-2016 05:49 AM

My goal is to learn how to use my longarm. I got it for free. It isn't anything fancy, but I have no idea how to load a quilt onto it. I watched a few youtube videos. I am going to have a friend show me how. I have a couple of ugly quilts to practice on.

carolynjo 12-27-2016 06:18 AM

My goal is to become more pain free so I can sit and sew and quilt. For about 4 years I have been unable to do much. One more Doc to visit in Jan. to see if he can help me.

Wanabee Quiltin 12-27-2016 07:02 AM

I have serious eye issues but have contiguous piece and quilt anyway. I just found a UFO from 9 years ago and the piecing is so beautiful I almost cried. My goal is to get back to that perfect scant 1/4 seam. Not easy when one eye is messed up but I'm going to try.

Weezy Rider 12-27-2016 07:20 AM

I found one easy solution to eyes. I have the Juki 2010 and ordered the T bar for it. Once you get the seam set up and the bar screwed down it isn't going to move plus you can put it back in the same place at any time. I've tried the stick on guides, the guide foot, the regular quilting foot, and so far the T is the only thing that works. With the stick-ons, I have cats. The same for the magnetic. If you catch the cat doing something dangerous to itself, well - the cat's more important. Juki used a compensating foot for a 1/4" foot, and some of the others that you can buy are a bit off. The needle plate on the Juki is true.

I can actually see what I'm doing. I have enough lights on the machine. I'm playing with scraps now - I have some scrap quilts designed for 4 1/2 squares. I have an Accuquilt and just cut with the 2 1/2 inch comparable dies.

I want to piece more accurately. I've always been able to machine applique. Any zig-zag machine would do it.
I can use a walking foot and do straight line, but the style of fmq I want to do is hard. I want to use the old quilting motifs that my grandma used to do by hand. Calls for a lot more practice and precision than all over fmq. Too small to really get a rhythm going. I do QAYG and use sashing so I can do each block differently. I've bought some ruler templates, but I trace them rather than sew with them. One of these days ----

Onebyone 12-27-2016 07:29 AM

I love my Big Look. It's a must have for me to see every stitch at the sewing machine. My piecing has improved 100%. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0kJi_9OfRk You can order the extension bar for the longer and bigger machines. The regular one fits my Brother 1500. It is easy to move from one machine to the another.

romanojg 12-27-2016 08:17 AM

I pray that everyone meets their goals this year and learn lots of new skills. I especially pray for all of those who have a hard time due to physical challenges. I know its hard but I give you lots of admiration for treading on and trying to do your best.

marge954 12-27-2016 08:38 AM

I really want to master machine applique. I also want to (finally) sit down and figure out how to do diagonal setting of quilt blocks.